Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store not opening after latest Catalina update

Hi,

I just updated to the latest Mac OS version of Catalina and my App Store app is not opening properly. It was just fine prior to the update. When I open it the screen opens up and the beach ball keeps spinning and when I check out the app it says 'application not responding'. I have tried everything and nothing seems to fix it. I've tried to change the date and time, and tried reseting it and nothing changes. I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro. Does anyone know how to get the App Store app working again?

Thanks,

Josh

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 4:20 PM

I had the exact same problem. The problem seemed related to the login, so I moved the broken user out of the way, created a new user, then moved across the folders from the broken user that I cared about (/Users/brokenuser/...). I also had issues with chrome periodically hanging, but because the logging and introspection capabilities of MacOS are garbage I have not been able to find any rhyme or reason to this happening. This is now "fixed" for me, but I'm never getting my hours of time back; :sadface:

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2020 4:20 PM in response to Joshbyb1

I had the exact same problem. The problem seemed related to the login, so I moved the broken user out of the way, created a new user, then moved across the folders from the broken user that I cared about (/Users/brokenuser/...). I also had issues with chrome periodically hanging, but because the logging and introspection capabilities of MacOS are garbage I have not been able to find any rhyme or reason to this happening. This is now "fixed" for me, but I'm never getting my hours of time back; :sadface:

Jan 16, 2020 12:18 PM in response to Joshbyb1

Hello Joshbyb1,

Thanks for the update. One thing you could do is to boot using safe mode and see if the issue persists.

"Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode

If an issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.

• If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.
  • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed."

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Have a nice day.

Dec 24, 2019 9:37 AM in response to Joshbyb1

Greetings Joshbyb1,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like the App Store app is freezing and not responding. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting to solve this issue. Even though there is a chance that you've tried these steps already, I would recommend you follow every step and let us know if the issue persists.

If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Take care.

Jan 16, 2020 1:41 PM in response to rose_10

Hi,

My internet is working as I am using my MacBook Pro to send this message on my home wifi network. The date and time are correct, there are no messages saying that the App Store isn't working either. The screen is still white and the little spinning beach ball just keeps spinning and spinning once I try to open the app. What can I do to get access to the app store again?

Thanks.

App Store not opening after latest Catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.