Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple desktop comp

Hello, I would like some info on buying my first time Apple desktop comp. All I do is surf the internet stream movies and check emails basically, maybe go to word and excell if I have to. My question is can I get by on a desktop comp 8 Gb 1TB Intell core i3 High sierra 10.13 or do I need an i5 or i7. Please let me know thanks again. don't have a lot of money to spend on a unit just want a good price for what it need.

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 9:28 AM

Any currently-available iMac (in-built display) or Mac mini (with a suitable display monitor) that Apple is now selling can stream HD video and can handle email.

(One of the configurations I’m familiar with is a current Mac mini with several network-connected HD receivers, and that’s routinely recording four HD streams out to a disk array and entirely in parallel.)

If that’s all you’re doing, and if you don’t want or don’t need a big display, so too can an iPad.

An Intel i3 will work, here. (That won’t be able to push as much data as that earlier Mac mini, though.)

Check whether the Mac models you're looking at can be upgraded, as 8 GB is about as low as I’d go.

Biggest reason to go (somewhat) higher-spec with a Mac is for how long you plan to use this Mac, as user performance expectations, numbers and sizes of apps, and of data and photos and movies, all tend to increase over time. That, and some limits of some Mac models can’t be upgraded, or some others can’t easily be upgraded.

SSDs are wildly faster than hard disk storage, too. The two usual upgrades for an existing Mac—if the Mac supports upgrading one or both of these, and various Mac models don’t, or don’t easily—are more memory, and an SSD replacement for a hard disk.

iPad cannot be upgraded.

External storage can be added incrementally, too. This with USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, and with adapters to lower-spec I/O.

Visit an Apple Store, and have a look around. Chat with the Apple folks. See the sizes, and the alternatives.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2019 9:28 AM in response to albersbill001

Any currently-available iMac (in-built display) or Mac mini (with a suitable display monitor) that Apple is now selling can stream HD video and can handle email.

(One of the configurations I’m familiar with is a current Mac mini with several network-connected HD receivers, and that’s routinely recording four HD streams out to a disk array and entirely in parallel.)

If that’s all you’re doing, and if you don’t want or don’t need a big display, so too can an iPad.

An Intel i3 will work, here. (That won’t be able to push as much data as that earlier Mac mini, though.)

Check whether the Mac models you're looking at can be upgraded, as 8 GB is about as low as I’d go.

Biggest reason to go (somewhat) higher-spec with a Mac is for how long you plan to use this Mac, as user performance expectations, numbers and sizes of apps, and of data and photos and movies, all tend to increase over time. That, and some limits of some Mac models can’t be upgraded, or some others can’t easily be upgraded.

SSDs are wildly faster than hard disk storage, too. The two usual upgrades for an existing Mac—if the Mac supports upgrading one or both of these, and various Mac models don’t, or don’t easily—are more memory, and an SSD replacement for a hard disk.

iPad cannot be upgraded.

External storage can be added incrementally, too. This with USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, and with adapters to lower-spec I/O.

Visit an Apple Store, and have a look around. Chat with the Apple folks. See the sizes, and the alternatives.

Dec 22, 2019 9:41 AM in response to albersbill001

I'm working on a mid-2010 27" iMac 3.2 GHz Core i3 with High Sierra. It runs great. The internet is much more dependent on the speed of your connection than any spec on your Mac, so I wouldn't worry about browsing.

The only thing is that High Sierra will only be supported for a year or less. What year is the Mac you're looking at?

I wouldn't purchase an older Mac unless from Apple Refurbished because you don't know what you are getting. All Apple refurbished come with a one year warranty. I also wouldn't purchase a Mac as old as mine because I don't know how much longer before I have a hardware problem and it's not worth fixing.

Dec 22, 2019 11:19 AM in response to albersbill001

albersbill001 wrote:

2009,10.11 otherwise they are getting out of my price range

That’s badly outdated.

Depending on which Mac and early or late 2009, that’ll either top out at 10.11—which seems likely, here—or at 10.13.

10.13 is the oldest version that is receiving security patches, and 10.15 is the current version.

10.11 is going to be having increasing issues with establishing secure network connections, as the security ages out.

You’re almost certainly going to be quickly headed for a hard disk replacement or for an SSD upgrade with most any Mac from 2009, if that’s not already been performed.

Seriously look for a used iPad. Preferably one with support for iPadOS 13. It’ll do what you want. It’ll be newer, too.

Apple desktop comp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.