Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant restore Apple TV "Software update server could not be contacted. The requested resource was not found"

Hi, I need to restore my Apple TV since it won't recognise my ethernet connection for some reason (connection is ok btw, tested on other internet enabled devices). I can use Wi-fi but want faster speeds so that's not a good plan B. Restoring it through the TV remote doesn't work either. So only option is to do a hard reset through a PC. Cant do it via iTunes as that's now Apple Music and can't download an older version of it through Catalina as apple won't allow it. Tried through another PC (windows that had iTunes) and received this error message "The Apple TV software update server could not be contacted. The requested resource was not found."

So I connected it to my Mac and got the same error message in Finder.

We all know Apple makes life hard for those with older devices but why issue instructions on how to restore devices that simply doesn't work in practice? Apple are the most frustrating company sometimes, at best they over engineer (Apple Music for example) or at worst they cock it up completely (Apple Music for example).

Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 9:26 AM

6 replies

Dec 29, 2019 6:13 AM in response to vazandrew

Checked broadband connection which is working fine. Firewall is default (no change). See screenshot of connected devices to broadband network. Again the broadband security does not explain why a factory reset was attempted through another PC (windows that had iTunes) that received repeatedly received error message from iTunes: "The Apple TV software update server could not be contacted. The requested resource was not found."

Dec 23, 2019 2:48 PM in response to vazandrew

hi thanks for getting back, This ATV is on a network in a 5,000sqft property with dozens of internet enabled devices including 4 other Apple TV’s that are all working fine. This ATV was working fine until this week. There is no fault on the network or any changes to the firewall.

I think it is fair to assume these issues are isolated to this device

Dec 23, 2019 4:38 PM in response to model1974

Other devices working does not rule out the network and issues can come at any time. The firewall and/or security software could very well be causing a block in regards to restoring the device so those would need to be checked as well. There are plenty of users out there with 3rd gens that have no issue restoring, and any that do have rectified it after looking into things further.

When such issues occur then proper troubleshooting needs to take place, but if you would rather make assumptions that is your choice and I will leave you to it.

Cant restore Apple TV "Software update server could not be contacted. The requested resource was not found"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.