Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina reopens app windows upon login

I noticed this issue as soon as I updated to macOS 10.15(Catalina). The OS opens every previously opened windows even when the "Reopen windows when logging back in" is unticked.

Another bug I noticed was the same problem occurring with bluetooth. The wired part is, if you turned on the bluetooth while working and then turned it off before shutting down, it'll be turned on when you'll log back in.

Is this an os update bug for macOS Catalina or has anyone experienced this before. And if so, what are the ways it can be resolved by? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 12:37 PM

3 replies

Dec 22, 2019 1:08 PM in response to chaitanya89

chaitanya89 wrote:

I noticed this issue as soon as I updated to macOS 10.15(Catalina). The OS opens every previously opened windows even when the "Reopen windows when logging back in" is unticked.

Another bug I noticed was the same problem occurring with bluetooth. The wired part is, if you turned on the bluetooth while working and then turned it off before shutting down, it'll be turned on when you'll log back in.

Is this an os update bug for macOS Catalina or has anyone experienced this before. And if so, what are the ways it can be resolved by? Thanks!

Remove the app from the Log-in Items using the " - " from the option +/-

Verify you are not just closing the window with the red pill button— most apps this closes an open window, but does not quit the app. (there are a few built in applications were it does quit the app.)

regarding bluetooth— this does not surprise me this default behavior:

Bluetooth is used for many functions including Continuity.

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch ...

Location Services uses GPS and Bluetooth

Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad

wireless mouse and keyboard

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201171

Dec 22, 2019 2:50 PM in response to chaitanya89

chaitanya89 wrote:

The apps that are reopening are just the ones I used last before logging out. In fact and I double checked none of them are present in my Login items.
I usually close the apps with CMD+Q which quits the whole app and not just an instance.
The bluetooth surprises me because it never happened before I updated to macOS Catalina and in fact, it still doesn't necessarily opens on every startup. Only the times when I manually open the bluetooth will it reopen on the next startup
(I have just one user account and no guest accounts)

Well if it is an issue you can try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

The macOS is actually more efficient and faster if you let the macOS shut down and reopen the apps if you have to reboot.

Simply closing the lid is the easiest. In this way you pickup where you left off.

Reboot/log out only if it is necessary.

Dec 22, 2019 2:42 PM in response to leroydouglas

The apps that are reopening are just the ones I used last before logging out. In fact and I double checked none of them are present in my Login items.

I usually close the apps with CMD+Q which quits the whole app and not just an instance.

The bluetooth surprises me because it never happened before I updated to macOS Catalina and in fact, it still doesn't necessarily opens on every startup. Only the times when I manually open the bluetooth will it reopen on the next startup

(I have just one user account and no guest accounts)

macOS Catalina reopens app windows upon login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.