Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two boot data volumes after clean reinstall of Catalina and Time Machine will not do backups anymore

After reinstalling Catalina from scratch on my Mac mini 2012, I now found two identically named "Mac mini Boot-Data" volumes. In Disk Utility, I can see the smaller volume, about 250Gb, has the hard disk icon adorned with a little house at the lower right corner and is marked "macOS 10.15.2". The larger volume, at 1.01TB, has the plain icon only. Both are APFS volumes and the larger volume seems to overlap the smaller one.

Time Machine now refuses to do backups due to the duplicated volumes. Everything else seems to work just fine, though.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 6:55 AM

Hello firelion!

Welcome to and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that after re-installing Catalina on your Mac mini, Disk Utility is showing duplicate "data" volumes" which is preventing you from creating a Time Machine back up.

Try testing this issue in safe mode and in a new user account following the steps in these articles based on how your Mac responds:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the issue continues to persist, I recommend that you contact Apple Support.

Kindest Regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 6:55 AM in response to firelion

Hello firelion!

Welcome to and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that after re-installing Catalina on your Mac mini, Disk Utility is showing duplicate "data" volumes" which is preventing you from creating a Time Machine back up.

Try testing this issue in safe mode and in a new user account following the steps in these articles based on how your Mac responds:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the issue continues to persist, I recommend that you contact Apple Support.

Kindest Regards.

two boot data volumes after clean reinstall of Catalina and Time Machine will not do backups anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.