Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files app saving and sharing

I just got a macbook, and I noticed that everything saved to the files app on my phone shows up in finder on my computer. What i am wondering is how do i turn this off, so files from my computer dont show up on my phone too because i want the two devices to be connected through icloud but unlike pictures there is no way to turn off file sharing. There is also the fact that whenever i take a screenshot of a web page on my phone, without even clicking “save to files” it still saves it to files when i dont want it to.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 7:29 AM

Turn OFF Desktop and Documents

Turn OFF Desktop and Documents on every Mac that you want to use with iCloud Drive.

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Make sure that iCloud Drive is turned OFF.
  3. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  4. Choose Desktop & Documents Folders.
  5. Click Done.

In the Finder, you'll see your Desktop and Documents folder in the iCloud section of your sidebar. If you add a second Mac Desktop, you'll find those files in the Desktop folder in iCloud Drive. A folder is created with the same name as your second Mac.

Watch the GIF below

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 7:29 AM in response to Changemakesbetter.coolz

Turn OFF Desktop and Documents

Turn OFF Desktop and Documents on every Mac that you want to use with iCloud Drive.

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Make sure that iCloud Drive is turned OFF.
  3. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  4. Choose Desktop & Documents Folders.
  5. Click Done.

In the Finder, you'll see your Desktop and Documents folder in the iCloud section of your sidebar. If you add a second Mac Desktop, you'll find those files in the Desktop folder in iCloud Drive. A folder is created with the same name as your second Mac.

Watch the GIF below

Files app saving and sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.