Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exercise ring on Apple Watch not updating

I got an Apple Watch for Christmas. Went walking today. Outdoor walk was recognized on the watch, with all parameters recorded. I can even see my walking award(!) on the watch. However the green circle has not updated. How do I fix this? Thanks,

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 6:52 AM

According to apple support, for the activity ring to register your workout (for outdoor walk or exercise ring) you need to maintain a speed of approx 3.3 mph or faster,this is their definition of a "brisk walk".If you slow down or pause the watch will stop tracking your movement as exercise credit,it will still measure your steps and calories burnt but will not give you any credit towards the exercise ring or workout app.A brisk walk speed is different for everybody as the watch takes into account your age,sex,weight and heart rate which why it is important to calibrate the watch when you set it up from new,the idea being that you're being encouraged to put more effort in to walk faster and to get your heart beating faster, if you just walk at a slow pace then you are not going to improve your fitness or get all those award badges that we all seek.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 6:52 AM in response to MaryK253

According to apple support, for the activity ring to register your workout (for outdoor walk or exercise ring) you need to maintain a speed of approx 3.3 mph or faster,this is their definition of a "brisk walk".If you slow down or pause the watch will stop tracking your movement as exercise credit,it will still measure your steps and calories burnt but will not give you any credit towards the exercise ring or workout app.A brisk walk speed is different for everybody as the watch takes into account your age,sex,weight and heart rate which why it is important to calibrate the watch when you set it up from new,the idea being that you're being encouraged to put more effort in to walk faster and to get your heart beating faster, if you just walk at a slow pace then you are not going to improve your fitness or get all those award badges that we all seek.

Exercise ring on Apple Watch not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.