Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone x signal is poor

My iphone x wifi range is very poor only works good when I’m close to my router if i take a few steps it will disconnect i try resetting my network and erasing my phone nothing worked

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 9:52 AM

This might be the wrong Discussion forum for this question since it is about an iPhone X and this is the forum for Mac OS High Sierra (10.13). However such issues can crop up with Macs as well as iPhones, so it may be relevant.

You might want to download the Speedtest app for your phone as it will quantify what speed you are getting. Then you can try some things and see if it improves or not.

One thing to check is that your phone is connecting to the router through the 2.4 GHz versus 5 GHz network. Most routers can be set up so these act like two separate networks. If you do that, you can check your phone's performance separately at each frequency. Usually 2.4 GHz is best unless you are within 10 or 20 feet of the router with a direct, unobstructed line of sight. If your phone is connecting on 5 GHz, force it to connect via 2.4 GHz (tell it to "forget" the 5 GHz network) and see if that helps. If it does not help, and other devices are getting good performance (check with Speedtest -- the app is available for Macs also, and there are similar apps for PCs and Android phones) but your iPhone remains slow, the phone may need to be checked at an Apple Store, which is free at the Genius Bar.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 9:52 AM in response to Sloane321

This might be the wrong Discussion forum for this question since it is about an iPhone X and this is the forum for Mac OS High Sierra (10.13). However such issues can crop up with Macs as well as iPhones, so it may be relevant.

You might want to download the Speedtest app for your phone as it will quantify what speed you are getting. Then you can try some things and see if it improves or not.

One thing to check is that your phone is connecting to the router through the 2.4 GHz versus 5 GHz network. Most routers can be set up so these act like two separate networks. If you do that, you can check your phone's performance separately at each frequency. Usually 2.4 GHz is best unless you are within 10 or 20 feet of the router with a direct, unobstructed line of sight. If your phone is connecting on 5 GHz, force it to connect via 2.4 GHz (tell it to "forget" the 5 GHz network) and see if that helps. If it does not help, and other devices are getting good performance (check with Speedtest -- the app is available for Macs also, and there are similar apps for PCs and Android phones) but your iPhone remains slow, the phone may need to be checked at an Apple Store, which is free at the Genius Bar.

My iPhone x signal is poor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.