Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nov 2003 PowerMac G5 gets its a second wind

Man I can't believe my PowerMac Dual 2.0 is still alive an kicking. I've mainly replaced most duties with a faster MBP. What gave my PM its second wind? I installed an Intel X25-E 32GB SSD as the primary boot. I put the old 1.5TB Seagate on the upper slot and put the 32GB SSD in the lower. I figured I'll just install Leopard just for yucks and see how it works. Man was I surprised... Previously the main purpose of the PM was a media storage machine, music, photos, movies, stuff I don't want to clog the MBP with.

I'm going to keep her for a little while longer and use it as an iLife machine. I have let the other apps go the the PPC grave yard (but still installed on the 1.5TB boot drive). I kept our home directories by using vifs to add the 1.5TB User partition mounted as /Users on boot and made sure to keep all uid the same with the OS on the SSD. Backups with TimeMachine to APE with USB 2TB WD Green Drive.

Here's what she's got
PowerMac 2.0GHz DP
8GB RAM
X850XT AGP 256MB (DVI and ADC)
22" Apple Cinema ADC 1680x1050
24" Apple Cinema DVI 1920-1200
32GB Intel X25-E SSD
1.5TB Seagate 7200 HDD

Sorry Apple that 27" i7 purchase is going to wait a little while longer.

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 17, 2010 7:39 AM

1 reply

Nov 2003 PowerMac G5 gets its a second wind

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.