Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple just updated my IPhone and the battery will no longer hold a charge

Anyone else that had the recent update damaged their IPhone battery? Has Apple addressed the issue at all? If so any advice?

iPhone SE

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 11:02 AM

7 replies

Dec 26, 2019 12:35 PM in response to eamcd2

Sorry, not understanding what you are saying. If your battery is at 80% it is near the end of its life and the update did not make it get there despite you belief. The drain on the device doing the update may indeed have triggered the message but had you not upgraded you were guaranteed to see that message within the next 10 days.

Apple doesn't make the batteries in their devices and ALL batteries eventually have to be replaced. If you continue to use that battery it will probably begin to overheat and eventually fail. Were you under the impression that lithium polymer batteries last forever?

Dec 26, 2019 12:45 PM in response to deggie

It was not at 80% before. Called a designated service provider since your last reply and they advise that there have been lots of problems with the SE and that most likely it is not the battery but the phone.

Your tone in your reply confirms to me that Apple is not the same company that once had my dedicated loyalty..

Dec 26, 2019 12:54 PM in response to eamcd2

I don't know who you called but they are full of it. If your iPhone was showing the battery was at say 92% before you updated and now with iOS 13.3. it is showing 82% then something was wrong with your software installation of iOS 12. If you don't believe what the battery health is telling you download Coconut Battery on your computer and test it. Or better yet call AppleCare and have them test your battery which will be more accurate than both.

That message is very serious and usually shows up not long before the battery will either start shorting out and causing problems or as I said will overheat or start to swell. Lithium polymer batteries do that when they fail. They do that in Samsung phones, LG phones, Motorola phones, all phones. They have done it ever since they were used.

If is not going to be the phone, it will be the battery. Put a new battery in and the problem is gone. Again, did you expect a lithium polymer battery to last forever?

And since you are one of those people who enters into agreements without reading them I should explain that this is a user-to-user technical support site operated by Apple, I volunteer here and I do not work for Apple so I'm unclear how my tone in my reply confirms anything.

Apple just updated my IPhone and the battery will no longer hold a charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.