Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I permanently store photos on the iCloud and not on my phone

Can I use the iCloud for permanent storage even if I delete the file or photo from my iPhone?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 7:28 AM

Hello JacknAZ,

Thanks for posting your question on the Apple Support Communities.

When you use iCloud to synchronize your photos and videos with your iPhone, they are synchronized between both your iPhone and iCloud. This means that if you delete a photo or video on your iPhone, it deletes from iCloud. There is no way to change the behavior of this synchronization.

You can however, change between two different iCloud Photos settings:

1) Optimize iPhone Storage

2) Download and Keep Originals

If you select Optimize iPhone Storage, the photos and videos will take up less space on your device. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264 contains information on how to use the Optimize iPhone Storage setting.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2019 7:28 AM in response to JacknAZ

Hello JacknAZ,

Thanks for posting your question on the Apple Support Communities.

When you use iCloud to synchronize your photos and videos with your iPhone, they are synchronized between both your iPhone and iCloud. This means that if you delete a photo or video on your iPhone, it deletes from iCloud. There is no way to change the behavior of this synchronization.

You can however, change between two different iCloud Photos settings:

1) Optimize iPhone Storage

2) Download and Keep Originals

If you select Optimize iPhone Storage, the photos and videos will take up less space on your device. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264 contains information on how to use the Optimize iPhone Storage setting.

Can I permanently store photos on the iCloud and not on my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.