Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I airplay on box tv’s the older versions that existed before ios did. And can I airplay on more than one device at a time?

Can I airplay on old box tv’s from my iPhone or Mac laptop?

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 6:20 AM

clucylt wrote:

Like old television boxes from the 70’s..
I wanted to stack all different tvs together and play one video on all of them at the same time.. is this possible through airplay?

Not directly no. Airplay needs an airplay compatible receiver. Those did not exist in the 70's. You can't just magically send a signal to a TV from the 70's from an iPhone and expect it to work. You wouldn't even be able to select the TVs from the iPhone to airplay the video to for starters.

Airplay does not magically see all TVs around you, only Airplay compatible ones.

You can get a receiver that supports Airplay and then connect it to some other hardware that can perform the split onto many TVs at the same time if that's what you mean. For instance you could Airplay to an Apple TV, and then use hardware to split the signal onto many TVs at the same time, though for a 1970s TV you additionally need a converter from HDMI to the antenna input on those TVs.

You can only Airplay to a single Airplay receiver at any one time from a single iPhone however.

if not tv boxes, am I able to play a video off multiple iPhones at one time through airplay?

Each phone can airplay a different video on its own to a different receiver, if that's what you mean. You would need to start the video manually on each phone. There's nothing stopping you from playing a different video on each phone and then airplaying it to an Airplay compatible receiver for each phone.

Airplay is not magic. It's a wireless technology that needs special kinds of hardware to work.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2019 6:20 AM in response to clucylt

clucylt wrote:

I wanted to stack all different tvs together and play one video on all of them at the same time.. is this possible through airplay?

Not directly no. Airplay needs an airplay compatible receiver. Those did not exist in the 70's. You can't just magically send a signal to a TV from the 70's from an iPhone and expect it to work. You wouldn't even be able to select the TVs from the iPhone to airplay the video to for starters.

Airplay does not magically see all TVs around you, only Airplay compatible ones.

You can get a receiver that supports Airplay and then connect it to some other hardware that can perform the split onto many TVs at the same time if that's what you mean. For instance you could Airplay to an Apple TV, and then use hardware to split the signal onto many TVs at the same time, though for a 1970s TV you additionally need a converter from HDMI to the antenna input on those TVs.

You can only Airplay to a single Airplay receiver at any one time from a single iPhone however.

if not tv boxes, am I able to play a video off multiple iPhones at one time through airplay?

Each phone can airplay a different video on its own to a different receiver, if that's what you mean. You would need to start the video manually on each phone. There's nothing stopping you from playing a different video on each phone and then airplaying it to an Airplay compatible receiver for each phone.

Airplay is not magic. It's a wireless technology that needs special kinds of hardware to work.

Dec 27, 2019 9:13 PM in response to Phil0124

if not tv boxes, am I able to play a video off multiple iPhones at one time through airplay? or does this require some kind of coding??

Dec 28, 2019 3:05 PM in response to clucylt

You’re possibly aiming for what’s sometimes called a videowall, and which will have very little to do with AirPlay. This is one input split across multiple displays, providing a much larger image. Nit really a]high-resolution though here, given the use of low-resolution CRT displays. Some details:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VIDEOENGINEERING/comments/82l5wl/how_do_i_make_a_video_wall_of_crt_tvs/

https://audio-video-supply.markertek.com/search?w=videowall&IMAGE.x=0&IMAGE.y=0

If you want to have one analog signs; source repeated on all of the CRT displays, that too will have little to do with AirPlay. A passive analog splitter will get you a few output CRT devices by basically providing parallel output on the antenna input on each CRT, or you’ll need an analog amplifier if you’re making a lot of splits and lots of displays due to signal losses. You’ll need a video controller or an adapter with low-powered analog output in the old NTSC frequency bands as the source for the signal, which won’t be easy to find. And won’t be AirPlay, save maybe via some receiver box and and analog adapter.

What you’re probably envisioning... streaming AirPlay to one big image split across multiple CRT screens, or one image replicated to a whole lot of CRT screens... wirelessly... will need some analog hardware. And AirPlay most likely won’t be part of your path here...

You’re going to learn a whole lot about RF and NTSC, on this path. Start here:

http://datagenetics.com/blog/april12018/index.html

This’ll give you some search terms, and some gadgets that might be interesting.

I don’t know of a pre-packaged solution. And I’d doubt there be an AirPlay solution here, save as an alternate input path into whatever analog box is providing the analog NTSC antenna head-end of this whole CRT matrix. Or S-Video or BNC, if your CRTs have either or both of that.

Parallel LCD will be vastly easier, higher resolution, and sill run much cooler, as moderate-sized CRTs draw a whole lot of power by present standards. And that power means heat.

Can I airplay on box tv’s the older versions that existed before ios did. And can I airplay on more than one device at a time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.