Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Vision issues on Apple TV 4K

I have been enjoying Dolby Vision on my Apple TV 4K for several months now and have invested in several Dolby Vision films from the Apple store, until recently I have had no problems and the picture quality of the dolby vision playback has been superb from all sources such as Apple, Netflix and Amazon prime. Unfortunately when I try to view anything in Dolby Vision now it is ok on the bright scenes but when it switches to a dark scene it is like watching a photographic negative making using this format unusable. I can confirm I am using the recommended Belkin high speed cable have done a complete reset of the box twice and it has re-downloaded the software I have also followed all other procedures to eliminate any equipment in line faults to no avail. I can confirm when the TV app is used for programs such as Netflix I have no problem and I have recently purchased an Amazon fire TV cube this plays back Dolby Vision perfectly can anybody shed any light on this fault and as to why this has just started happening and yes I do know I can switch it to HDR to stop this fault. If there is no solution to get rid of this fault I will be looking to get a full refund as I think my unit is still in warranty. Thanks for any info or help.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 12

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 2:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 4:58 PM

Hello,

I suggest that you reach out to Apple for assistance.

Contact AppleCare

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 26, 2020 1:02 PM in response to rpond

First of all when I first got my Apple TV 4K I had to get if replaced due to the picture going off and the screen just showing noise and not a picture, the new unit had exactly the same issue. At the time I thought it was the cable so I replaced it for the high performance recommend Belkin cable this improved the situation but I still got random disconnections that should answer your second part of the question that is the only time I replaced my unit.

Ref to the Dolby Vision issue I must stress that I get perfect Dolby Vision playback from my netflix app on my LG TV and I must also stress I get perfect Dolby Vision playback from my Amazon fire TV so there is no issue with my other equipment, I must also stress that my Apple TV worked perfectly until recently on Dolby Vision and I had invested heavily on Dolby Vision titles on the Amazon store unfortunately these titles can no longer be played in Dolby Vision properly i.e negative picture effect on dark scenes this has forced me to switch Dolby Vision off and play back in standard HDR unfortunately it does not seem as though Apple acknowledges this issue so I think we are up the creek with out a paddle, in my opinion they need to ask Amazon how they can make a unit at half and some times a quarter of the price that works properly in Dolby Vision and before people knock me for being anti Apple I own an imac i7 an imac mini 2018 and an ipad pro 2018 sorry to say this but the Apple tv 4k is a heap of junk ref to Dolby Vision mine is out of guarantee so I can't change I would not recommend this unit to anyone.

Feb 27, 2020 9:58 PM in response to dashton6

There is definitely a bug with how the native movies app on the Apple TV is outputting video. If I start Godzilla : King of the monsters, the video displays the negative effect. If I play the same movie in the Movies Anywhere App, it works fine in Dolby Vision. My TV is the LG 65UH8500 and just got a firmware update last night. I have no idea when this issue started but it really has gone on far too long.

Dolby Vision issues on Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.