Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why zsh change?

Why the change to zsh? How does setting default shell affect shell in use? How do I choose the shell in use? What are the long-term consequences of silencing the bash warning? How do I test whether the zsh shell will meet my needs?

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 9:26 AM

The Bash 3.2.57 shell was introduced in 2007, and remains in Catalina, but could not be upgraded due to GNU licensing (GPL3) to Bash 4.4+. Zsh has licensing that allows Apple to keep it current, and offers many advanced features not found in either Bash version.

By changing your default shell to zsh, you no longer have the Bash shell as default when the Terminal launches — it will be zsh, which will not read the bash dot files. You can switch to Bash at any time interactively from zsh by typing bash and return in the Terminal.

There are no long term consequences of silencing that change shell prompt when you launch Terminal. However, at some future point, Apple may change the shell on you without your intervention.

You can simply type zsh at the Terminal prompt and land in the zsh shell. There is some existing Bash syntax supported by zsh, but the Terminal prompt is different from bash, and the dot files are different. See the zsh web site for current documentation, or Google what you want to do in zsh.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2019 9:26 AM in response to RoHSwell

The Bash 3.2.57 shell was introduced in 2007, and remains in Catalina, but could not be upgraded due to GNU licensing (GPL3) to Bash 4.4+. Zsh has licensing that allows Apple to keep it current, and offers many advanced features not found in either Bash version.

By changing your default shell to zsh, you no longer have the Bash shell as default when the Terminal launches — it will be zsh, which will not read the bash dot files. You can switch to Bash at any time interactively from zsh by typing bash and return in the Terminal.

There are no long term consequences of silencing that change shell prompt when you launch Terminal. However, at some future point, Apple may change the shell on you without your intervention.

You can simply type zsh at the Terminal prompt and land in the zsh shell. There is some existing Bash syntax supported by zsh, but the Terminal prompt is different from bash, and the dot files are different. See the zsh web site for current documentation, or Google what you want to do in zsh.

Dec 29, 2019 9:51 AM in response to RoHSwell

RoHSwell wrote:

How do I test whether the zsh shell will meet my needs?

to add—

Change the default shell in Terminal on Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-lk/guide/terminal/trml113/mac

To see you current shell:

echo $SHELL

To see your options:

cat /etc/shells

To change shells, for ex. bash:

chsh -s /bin/bash

The GPL License for the current bash is incompatible with many application-distribution-systems, like the Mac App Store, and certain other software distribution platforms (on smartphones as well as PCs).

" zsh is more compatible with Bourne shell (sh) and mostly compatible with bash... before bash is fully phased out."

"Zsh is among the most powerful freely available Bourne-like shell for interactive use."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/4/18651872/apple-macos-catalina-zsh-bash-shell-replacement-features

Why zsh change?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.