Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why will touch i.d. work only a few times on my iPhone before failing?

I have a 2-year-old iPhone 7. When I got it, touch i.d. worked for about 5 months. Then it started working only intermittently, then only sometimes, and finally it wouldn't work at all. I called Apple Care and was told to upgrade from iOS 10 to 11, and that would "probably" fix the problem. I upgraded, successfully entered a new set of fingerprints and deleted the old set. After that, touch i.d. worked for a few weeks before conking out again. I've since upgraded to iOS 12 and now have the most recent version of iOS 13, but none of the upgrades have fixed the problem: I create a whole new set of prints, touch i.d. works for three or four days, then fails completely. I've tried using different parts of my finger/thumb at various angles, but nothing works.

I guess it could be the hardware, but Apple doesn't seem to have any suggestions, and I've read that many other people have had this happen. It's just a nuisance when you can enter your passcode, but when you're trying to use a ride-share app or pay for something on a site that will only accept touch i.d., it's a big fat problem, not to mention a big fat time suck. Has anyone out there found a permanent solution?

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 10:29 PM

1 reply

Jan 2, 2020 2:28 PM in response to Turtlewiz

Hi Turtlewiz,

Thanks so much for using Apple Support Communities. It's great to have you here. I see from your post, you're experiencing an issue using Touch ID on your device.

If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad is an article that has some additional steps to take to help troubleshoot your issue.

If you continue to experience this issue, you can have your device inspected at an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Check out the following link that can help you locate your closest service provider.

Find Locations

Kindest regards.

Why will touch i.d. work only a few times on my iPhone before failing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.