Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW TO REPLACE INTERNAL HARD DISK for MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) and want to upgrade/replace my current hard disk to a 1TB or 2TB internal drive.

Questions:

1.) Is that possible?

2.) If so, what is the best compatible 1TB or 2TB SSD?

3.) Is there an install guide for this specific upgrade/replacement so I can do this myself? I cannot find one on the Apple Support site for my MacPro.

Cheers!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 7:30 PM

Make sure your laptop is already running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or later so that your laptop already has the required system firmware update installed to be able to use the OWC SSDs. You will only be able to use macOS 10.13+ after you upgrade to the OWC SSD.

I highly recommend you keep your original Apple SSD in case it is ever required for a future macOS upgrade or system firmware update. It also makes things easier if you ever need to have Apple service your laptop.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2019 7:30 PM in response to DutchOne2000

Make sure your laptop is already running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or later so that your laptop already has the required system firmware update installed to be able to use the OWC SSDs. You will only be able to use macOS 10.13+ after you upgrade to the OWC SSD.

I highly recommend you keep your original Apple SSD in case it is ever required for a future macOS upgrade or system firmware update. It also makes things easier if you ever need to have Apple service your laptop.

HOW TO REPLACE INTERNAL HARD DISK for MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.