Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i update my ipad 9.3.5, to 11 or higher?

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 1:04 PM

Hello,

If your iPad will not update past 9 then you have either an iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation) or iPad mini (1st generation). These iPad models do not support any system version newer than 9. You cannot update your iPad any further. If you need to use software that requires a newer system software version then you will need to purchase a newer iPad model.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2019 1:04 PM in response to lensey

Hello,

If your iPad will not update past 9 then you have either an iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation) or iPad mini (1st generation). These iPad models do not support any system version newer than 9. You cannot update your iPad any further. If you need to use software that requires a newer system software version then you will need to purchase a newer iPad model.

Dec 31, 2019 4:49 PM in response to lensey

Nope.

A 1st gen iPad Mini is an over 7-years old device, now.

As of the beginning of 2019, many, MANY third party app developers are all more quickly and completely dropping older app support for all old 7, 8 and 9-year iPads that are running 2-3 year old and earlier iOS versions.

Getting older versions of app for these old iPad models, initially from Apple’s iOS App Store is getting to be very difficult and problematic, now, and will only be getting much worse in the year 2020.

These old iPads are now reaching their complete end of life and support.

If an old iPad that can no longer be upgraded or updated, then there will be no more apps available for initial download at all, soon, from the Apple iOS App Store, for such old iOS devices in the very near future.

Time to now seriously consider a new or discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.