Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine and more fails while asleep

I got a 16" MBP in December, upgrading from an older one running Sierra.

It seems that the sleep is more of a coma - time machine does not do hourly backups and I also run ControlPlane to mount/unmount some drives - this also does not run unless the MBP is fully awake.

I plug in at night, connect my TM disk and it used to charge and backup all night, showing hourly backups in TM. In the morning, ControlPlane unmounts my TM disk before i get up so all i do is pull the plugs and go.

Now i get the "Disk not ejected properly" warning every day unless I wake it up and wait for eject. I also only get one TM backup, just after plugging in, no more backups run.

Any ideas.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 4:32 PM

Have you tried using the "Power Nap" setting in Energy Saver (macOS System Preferences)? It is suppose to let your Mac do things like update e-mail and perform Time Machine back-ups, etc., while "sleeping".

It doesn't work right for me right now, not since Catalina. With Power nap turned-off, I just let my Mac desktop "go to sleep from inactivity". Time Machine will then update every hour, on the hour.

If I "put" the Mac to sleep (like "Sleep", "Restart", "Shut-down") it pretty much acts like your MBP.

Others are beginning to notice anomalies with Power Nap too.

Good luck, maybe it will work for you.

Best regards,

OM2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 4:32 PM in response to davek0974

Have you tried using the "Power Nap" setting in Energy Saver (macOS System Preferences)? It is suppose to let your Mac do things like update e-mail and perform Time Machine back-ups, etc., while "sleeping".

It doesn't work right for me right now, not since Catalina. With Power nap turned-off, I just let my Mac desktop "go to sleep from inactivity". Time Machine will then update every hour, on the hour.

If I "put" the Mac to sleep (like "Sleep", "Restart", "Shut-down") it pretty much acts like your MBP.

Others are beginning to notice anomalies with Power Nap too.

Good luck, maybe it will work for you.

Best regards,

OM2

Time machine and more fails while asleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.