Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility Shows Two Internal Hard Drives

I recently upgraded to Catalina. When checking in Disk Utiliy, it show two hard drives. One called: Macintosh HD; and one called: Macintosh HD - Data.

I've read elsewhere that this means that I might be using a beta version, but this is not the case. I've never installed any beta, prototype anything on my MacBook Pro.

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 10:32 AM

The completely non-changeable portion of MacOS is now on a separate Volume (on the same Boot Device) in Catalina.

Since it is now a Read-Only Volume, MacOS is now even harder to hack than ever before.

You did not have to pay anything extra to get this extra protection. Apple simply felt it was in your interest, and included it as a feature, as they often do.

Please know that Apple is continuously implementing changes to make your computer even harder to hack. There is NO NEED for third-party Virus scanners, speeder-uppers, or Cleaners that make any claims of improvement of anything. All these third-party add-ons speed up is the rate of exit of dollars from your wallet.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 10:32 AM in response to tbrobison

The completely non-changeable portion of MacOS is now on a separate Volume (on the same Boot Device) in Catalina.

Since it is now a Read-Only Volume, MacOS is now even harder to hack than ever before.

You did not have to pay anything extra to get this extra protection. Apple simply felt it was in your interest, and included it as a feature, as they often do.

Please know that Apple is continuously implementing changes to make your computer even harder to hack. There is NO NEED for third-party Virus scanners, speeder-uppers, or Cleaners that make any claims of improvement of anything. All these third-party add-ons speed up is the rate of exit of dollars from your wallet.

Jan 1, 2020 12:14 PM in response to tbrobison

tbrobison wrote:

I recently upgraded to Catalina. When checking in Disk Utiliy, it show two hard drives. One called: Macintosh HD; and one called: Macintosh HD - Data.

I've read elsewhere that this means that I might be using a beta version, but this is not the case. I've never installed any beta, prototype anything on my MacBook Pro.

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina

Disk Utility Shows Two Internal Hard Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.