Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Music App showing both cloud and local files

Since Catalina, I have a 50% issue where I load local, CD ripped or downloaded files and the Mac Music App shows both the downloaded copies and the copies in the cloud. On my iPhone, the files show up normally.

If I turn off iCloud music and turn it back on, then the issue does go away - but that creates other issues with playlists and causes downloaded Apple Music files to no longer show up or work. So, I would prefer fixing the original issue of Music not integrating the files together. See the screenshot of a recent acquisition, ripped from CD.

I have Apple Music and iTunes Match (which I have had since it launched and really do not want to give up for fear of the havoc that will cause).

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 5:33 PM

Thanks for your reply. That is part of solution as a workaround. Here's what I've learned after more experimentation. This might be related to having Apple Music and iTunes Match. Not sure, and I need to do some library clean up before I can dump iTunes Match. I have a large library, so nothing is ever fast!

First, the issue seems only to happen to tracks that are not matched by iTunes. So, CDs or digital files I buy from other sites that do not have equivalents in the iTunes store manifest the issue every time. I purchase a lot of classical music and soundtracks. Man of these are not available through the iTunes store. Files I buy on CD or in HD or from Amazon do seem to match and work properly. This is why I was seeing the issue as intermittent.

If the double listing occurs, signing out of Sync Library works:

1. Uncheck Sync Library
  2. Close Music
  3. Reopen Music
  4. Re-check Sync library (wait about 5 mins)

(5. If previously downloaded Apple Music files do show up in the library:

a. Quit Music

b. Move the Apple Music folder out of the media folder (anywhere is fine)

c. Re-open Music. Music will show ! on the missing files

d. Put Apple Music back in place

e. Quit and Restart Music. That should work now)

So, at least I have a workaround for whatever my issue is.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 5:33 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your reply. That is part of solution as a workaround. Here's what I've learned after more experimentation. This might be related to having Apple Music and iTunes Match. Not sure, and I need to do some library clean up before I can dump iTunes Match. I have a large library, so nothing is ever fast!

First, the issue seems only to happen to tracks that are not matched by iTunes. So, CDs or digital files I buy from other sites that do not have equivalents in the iTunes store manifest the issue every time. I purchase a lot of classical music and soundtracks. Man of these are not available through the iTunes store. Files I buy on CD or in HD or from Amazon do seem to match and work properly. This is why I was seeing the issue as intermittent.

If the double listing occurs, signing out of Sync Library works:

1. Uncheck Sync Library
  2. Close Music
  3. Reopen Music
  4. Re-check Sync library (wait about 5 mins)

(5. If previously downloaded Apple Music files do show up in the library:

a. Quit Music

b. Move the Apple Music folder out of the media folder (anywhere is fine)

c. Re-open Music. Music will show ! on the missing files

d. Put Apple Music back in place

e. Quit and Restart Music. That should work now)

So, at least I have a workaround for whatever my issue is.

Jan 6, 2020 8:51 AM in response to lairdm

After more fiddling, I think I have found a more permanent fix - or at least in my limited testing so far.

First off, the issues seems to be related to uploaded tracks that do not have matches in the Apple Music library - things like limited edition CD releases such as movie soundtracks that are physical release only. The tracks end up in a perpetual cloud state of "Waiting" despite the fact that they have been uploaded and are available from other devices using the same Apple ID with Sync Library enabled. It is only the original host application that is an issue.

The issue appears to be an issue with the genius file. This is now buried one level down in the Music App library (as compared to iTunes where it was an immediately visible file in the music library).

To have Music recalculate Genius and hopefully solve this:

1. Turn off the Sync Library. (Apple Music and non-downloaded files will temporarily disappear. Any downloaded, unprotected files will remain.)
  2. It is now possible to turn off Genius. (This is not an option when Sync Library is on as Genius is required.)
  3. Quit the Mac Music App
  4. Navigate to your Music Library.musiclibrary file. Mine is located in a secondary Music folder within my main Music folder. (~/Music/Music)
  5. Right click on this file, and Show Package Contents.
  6. Locate the Genius.itdb file and move it to the trash
  7. Search for any older Genius files remaining from past libraries no longer in use. (I am not sure this is necessary, but it's painless, so delete them).
  8. Empty the Trash
  9. Restart Music App
  10. Navigate to preferences on turn on Sync Library. Depending on library size, this process could take over 10 minutes.
  11. Verify all of your files and Cloud music are available

At this point, I believe any newly imported, non-matched tracks should upload properly and show only local copies in your library plus be available to all of your other devices using the library.

Mac Music App showing both cloud and local files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.