Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch 3 will not pair with my iPhone 6 plus.

When I try to pair my Apple Watch 3 with my iPhone 6 plus, it says that my "iPhone Out of Date and must be updated to the latest version of iOS." When I click on Update now, my phone says that there are no updates available. It is currently running iOS 12.4.4 When I tried to pair them manually, I got a code to start the pairing but then I received the same out of date message so they unpaired. Is there any way to get this to work? Thanks for your help!

Apple Watch

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 4:02 PM

It is not possible to pair a Watch with watchOS 6 to something lower than iOS 13. Unfortunately you will not be able to downgrade from Watch OS6 to Watch OS5. I recommend that you take the Apple Watch to your local Apple Store and ask if they can install Watch OS5 for you. I don't know if they will even do it however worth a shot.

Axel F.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 4:02 PM in response to ggfan

It is not possible to pair a Watch with watchOS 6 to something lower than iOS 13. Unfortunately you will not be able to downgrade from Watch OS6 to Watch OS5. I recommend that you take the Apple Watch to your local Apple Store and ask if they can install Watch OS5 for you. I don't know if they will even do it however worth a shot.

Axel F.

Jan 2, 2020 9:18 AM in response to ggfan

You are welcome.

Yes I understand how Best Buy's advice can be at times. If your local Apple Store cannot downgrade your Apple Watch to WatchOS5 then just return the Apple Watch to Best Buy and get your money back. The other more expensive option is to get a newer iPhone (At least one year newer than what you have) and pair that Apple Watch to it after installing iOS 13 on your new iPhone. This can get real expensive with this route. Just suggesting.

Axel F.

My Apple Watch 3 will not pair with my iPhone 6 plus.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.