Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receive a group text on iPad

Recently started having problems receiving group texts from iPad. Never had a problem before.

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 4:48 PM

8 replies

Jan 1, 2020 9:20 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Don’t know.

did notice that there’s no group function in the messages setting on the iPad as their is on the iPhone.

i recently had an issue where I was not receiving messages on my iPad at all so I contacted Apple and this was the result. (This all started after recent update.) I have always been able to receive all types of group messages.

Jan 2, 2020 9:31 AM in response to denisefrommiddle village

I just checked setting and they are as you describe but still not getting group messages. All my prior group messages are coming in individually from each sender as if they sent it to me privately.

I wish I knew what the settings were prior to the update...

one thing I do know is that my friend commented that he’s now receiving messages from my iPad where he only received messages from my phone before. I would routinely send messages to him from either. Does that help?

Jan 2, 2020 12:29 PM in response to denisefrommiddle village

I'm sorry, seems I misunderstood some of your question. Many times, group messages, if you don't have Group Messaging turned on, and sometimes even if you do, when the message contains non-iOS users in it, the responses will come in individually, and not in the entire group. That seems to be a common glitch with the messages coming from Android devices. I've experienced it both ways, and can never seem to guess when it will or will not happen. It seems that I was concentrating on providing you information about sending messages from the iPad, not about receiving. Do you receive them the same way on the iPhone and iPad? If so, I still don't believe it is an iOS error, it is something about Android and the cellular providers, since they control those types of messages.

Jan 2, 2020 2:42 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris..

so I have an iPhone and an iPad, and after a lengthy conversation with another Apple rep with both devices side by side it’s been discovered that it’s the phone, not the iPad. And it’s a known issue post-the recent update.

i have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow where I may need a new SIM card if a factory reset doesn’t work.

Jan 2, 2020 7:03 PM in response to denisefrommiddle village

Interesting. I'd like to hear more about the outcome of this. I have an iPad Pro 11, and an iPhone 11 Pro, and I've not experienced any issues, so I wonder if this is an issue with a certain combination of devices on iOS 13.3, for both, including an Apple Watch Series 5 with watchOS 6.1.1. I'd be interested in knowing what the iOS issue is. I appreciate your patience as we attempted to work through this, and I hope that tomorrow's appointment is fruitful and fixes your issue.

Receive a group text on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.