Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Garage Band 6.0.5

My iMac is too old to download GarageBand 10. Can I download an older version of GarageBand that is compatible with my iMac?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 12:44 AM

Which system version is running on your Mac?

There are no intermediate versions of GarageBand between 6.0.5 and 10. Your current version, GarageBand 6.0.5 is the last iLife version of garageBand. It is able to run on all systems, that support 32-bit code, up to macOS 10.14.6 Mojave. macOS 10.15 is the first system, that killed GarageBand 6.0.5.

GarageBand 6.0.5 is is a very good GarageBand version and the best you can get, if you missed to upgrade to the successor GarageBand 10, when it has been released in 2013 for MacOS 10.9 Mavericks. Since the introduction of the AppStore, we have to get the new versions, when they are released. The AppStore offers usually only the app for the most recent system versions. You could have got GarageBand 10.1 for a Mavericks Mac in 2013, when that version has been the current version, but now the App Store offers only GarageBand 10.3.4 for macOS 10.13.6. It is too late now.

GarageBand 10 is very different from GarageBand 6.0.5. Quite a few features are missing. GarageBand 10 does no longer support the sound effect instruments, Magic GarageBand, podcasts, or ducking. GarageBand 10, on the other hand, makes it possible to use iCloud with GarageBand, and offers some smart instruments, automatic drummer tracks or Arpeggiators. There is also the new midi draw area.

To be able to get GarageBand 10 now, you would need a new Mac. But a new Mac will come with macOS 10.15 Catalina, and you would lose all apps, that require some 32-bit system libraries, GarageBand 6.0.5, iPhoto, Aperture iDVD; QuickTime Player 7, to name just a few.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 12:44 AM in response to auburnreese

Which system version is running on your Mac?

There are no intermediate versions of GarageBand between 6.0.5 and 10. Your current version, GarageBand 6.0.5 is the last iLife version of garageBand. It is able to run on all systems, that support 32-bit code, up to macOS 10.14.6 Mojave. macOS 10.15 is the first system, that killed GarageBand 6.0.5.

GarageBand 6.0.5 is is a very good GarageBand version and the best you can get, if you missed to upgrade to the successor GarageBand 10, when it has been released in 2013 for MacOS 10.9 Mavericks. Since the introduction of the AppStore, we have to get the new versions, when they are released. The AppStore offers usually only the app for the most recent system versions. You could have got GarageBand 10.1 for a Mavericks Mac in 2013, when that version has been the current version, but now the App Store offers only GarageBand 10.3.4 for macOS 10.13.6. It is too late now.

GarageBand 10 is very different from GarageBand 6.0.5. Quite a few features are missing. GarageBand 10 does no longer support the sound effect instruments, Magic GarageBand, podcasts, or ducking. GarageBand 10, on the other hand, makes it possible to use iCloud with GarageBand, and offers some smart instruments, automatic drummer tracks or Arpeggiators. There is also the new midi draw area.

To be able to get GarageBand 10 now, you would need a new Mac. But a new Mac will come with macOS 10.15 Catalina, and you would lose all apps, that require some 32-bit system libraries, GarageBand 6.0.5, iPhoto, Aperture iDVD; QuickTime Player 7, to name just a few.

I have Garage Band 6.0.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.