Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My external drive was changed to Read-Only after Catalina upgrade

My external drive was changed to Read-Only after Catalina upgrade. Why would an external (non system volume) be marked read-only and items moved to "Previously Relocated Items/Security" folder? Can I regain use of my external drive to write data?

It is a 1 GB G-Technology by Hitachi old-school magnetic spin disk connected via FireWire 800 port. It is formatted Mac OS Extended. It contains Photos and iTunes files. My guess is that the Catalina install considered this drive a security risk for some reason?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 6:36 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 2, 2020 7:04 AM in response to mulberry58

Thanks for the quick response, but I tried that previously based on other posts. This does not work.

My account is already listed as having Read & Write privilege.

Attempting to change the "everyone" group to "Read & Write" from "Read only" results in an error message as follows:

"The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission."

My external drive was changed to Read-Only after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.