Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse erratic on waking from sleep

In the last week or so my Magic Mouse has started to become erratic on waking from sleep, with jumpy and delayed actions. Relaunching the finder, turning the mouse off , or disconnecting and reconnecting seems to resolve the problem.

I have no new devices in the environment that might interfere, I have installed no new software, I have trashed the bluetooth.plist file and restarted, I have made the mouse a favourite. I have no idea how this behaviour arose. I don't seem to have the same problems with the Apple wireless keyboard (late 2009 model).

Any help much appreciated.

Bob

Macbook 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2010 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2010 6:35 PM

Hi Bob:

Welcome to Apple discussions.

You have already tried several things that I would have suggested.

It is possible that the mouse is faulty/failing. I do not know of any software setting that would cause the behavior you describe.

Barry

P.S. If the mouse is less than a year old, I would take it to an Apple store (or call Applecare) with a warranty issue.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2010 6:35 PM in response to websterrobert

Hi Bob:

Welcome to Apple discussions.

You have already tried several things that I would have suggested.

It is possible that the mouse is faulty/failing. I do not know of any software setting that would cause the behavior you describe.

Barry

P.S. If the mouse is less than a year old, I would take it to an Apple store (or call Applecare) with a warranty issue.

Aug 6, 2010 1:10 PM in response to websterrobert

Well, things have gone from bad to worse. Today the Magic Mouse disconnected and I couldn't reconnect it. I then noticed that the Bluetooth menu only had one entry - a greyed out "Bluetooth - Not available". So now neither the keyboard nor mouse will connect. I have trashed the plist and restarted with no impact and the PRAM and SMC reset didn't work before. I guess I will have to try Applecare again, which most likely will mean another trip to see a genius. Not really convenient as the nearest Apple stores are 2 to 3 hours away.

Aug 16, 2010 2:26 PM in response to websterrobert

hello robert,

I think I'm having the same problem. For me, my magic mouse and my trackpad would start their erratic behavior after waking from a sleep. You didn't mention anything about your trackpad, are you using a macbook or an imac?

I also tried several things and the problem still comes back. I even did a complete system reinstall and the same happened.

I'm starting to thinks it has something to do with the fact that I changed my hibernatemode from 3 (default) to 0 (see http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html).
and I'm wondering if you did something similar to your system, it may be the root cause of the whole thing.

Aug 21, 2010 1:43 AM in response to websterrobert

Hi Apple,

Having the same problem. After waking up my macbook pro magic mouse would not connect. Sometimes powercycling the mouse would help, sometimes the only option to reconnect it is to reboot my mac.

This behaviour started only recently - probably after some sort of os update.
I didn't change any settings for sleep mode.

This is very frustrating - please help!

Alexey

Magic Mouse erratic on waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.