Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine not working right

Time machine couldn't complete backup to the drive I've been using for years . Lots of space on it. Message says "Time machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from."

Last successful backup was 45 minutes earlier though.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 11:44 AM

Local snapshots are on your Mac, not on Time Machine. Your hard drive may be running low on space. Check that going to Mac HD and "Get Info" (command-i). What does it report?

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

To view the local snapshots or delete them open iTunes and from the menu > Preferences > Devices.

5 replies

Jan 2, 2020 12:01 PM in response to Loisaf

I'm not running Catalina. But you can follow the advice in the Support Topic to delete the snapshots and see if that clears it up:

If you want to delete local snapshots manually, turn off Time Machine temporarily:

1. Open Time Machine preferences from the Time Machine menu  in the menu bar. Or choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Time Machine.
  2. Deselect ”Back Up Automatically” or click the Off/On switch, depending on what you see in Time Machine preferences.
  3. Wait a few minutes to allow the local snapshots to be deleted. Then turn on Time Machine again. It remembers your backup disks.

Time machine not working right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.