Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud login to safari browser only accepts Face-ID on iPad Pro

my face-ID is disabled yet Safari browser will not let me use a Password field to login to iCloud. Is this just me or is this an iOS safari bug?

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 7:46 AM

Hi family112,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to log into iCloud via Safari due to it requiring your Face ID vs. login credentials. I'd like to help.

When using Safari on your iOS device and navigating to iCloud website, when you tap on the Apple ID field, are you selecting your email address that appears as suggestion above the keyboard? At which point, Face ID begins but fails? If so, when you do not tap on the suggestion above the keyboard, and instead manually type your Apple ID email into the field, do you still see Face ID begin?

If the issue is present with either method used to sign in, I would suggest the following steps:

-Restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support.

-Ensure you are using the latest iOS version available: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

-Clear Safari history: Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Keep me posted on the results. Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2020 7:46 AM in response to family112

Hi family112,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to log into iCloud via Safari due to it requiring your Face ID vs. login credentials. I'd like to help.

When using Safari on your iOS device and navigating to iCloud website, when you tap on the Apple ID field, are you selecting your email address that appears as suggestion above the keyboard? At which point, Face ID begins but fails? If so, when you do not tap on the suggestion above the keyboard, and instead manually type your Apple ID email into the field, do you still see Face ID begin?

If the issue is present with either method used to sign in, I would suggest the following steps:

-Restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support.

-Ensure you are using the latest iOS version available: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

-Clear Safari history: Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Keep me posted on the results. Regards.

Jan 9, 2020 11:32 PM in response to i_rina

Hi i_Rina .. thanks for your time to try and help me. I have been using latest iOS 13.3 .. restarting did not bring up the password field .. Safari still reverts to Face-ID in the iCloud login dialogue box. If I choose CONTINUE then the Face-ID problem loop occurs. If I clear Safari cookies, the first login works fine but subsequent logins fail (Face-ID is still required as only option). If I choose the ‘login with different Apple-ID route then the subsequent login succeeds but this is not a logical user pathway for login. It appears that the Safari coding lacks the manual password option if Face-I’d fails.. are you able to request for Safari developers to consider adding the manual Password option if Face-ID fails (as occurs in other iPad Pro areas where Face-ID kicks in. This problem appears to be Safari specific.

I can use the non-logical login option as a workaround, I am hopeful a future iOS might be able to fix this? Kind regards and thanks again:)

iCloud login to safari browser only accepts Face-ID on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.