Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading to a new drive (SSD or Accelsior 4M2?) Thoughts?

I used to have the Accelsior E2 installed on this mac. It died right at the three year warranty. OWC wouldn't give me anything for it and I was out of luck. (I am trying to avoid spending lot of money again like I did three years ago to have something go bust and not get a warranty) I have a 2009 Mac Pro that I want to get off if my 7200 RPM drive. I see a few options.

1. Extreme Pro 6G SSD OWC 1.0TB Mercury
  2. OWC1.0TB Mercury Electra™ 6G SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA 7mm Solid-State Drive
  3. OWC Accelsior 4M2 (1TB)

I can't get my mac to go over Yosemite, so I can't have the benefits of more architecture.

I want to know which is a better drive for this mac if it is even work saving. The 4M2 may be out, but is there a difference between the Mercury, and the Mercury Electra? I looked at the specs and it seems negligible. Also if I can go for the Mercury, is it better to mount it in a PCIE card or a sled where a normal HD goes? Finally, would the newer SSDs OK, or as good as an older Accelsior E2 that is about 4 years old? (the original one I had?)

Here are my mac specs:

Mac Pro (Early 2009)

2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

5 Internal

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB

S/N = intentionally blank

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per Processor): 8 M

Memory: 16 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

Serial Number (system):

Serial Number (processor tray):    

Hardware UUID:  

Thanks for all the help going into this?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 4:27 PM

Choice 3 is out. Those are nVME drives, not supported as BOOTABLE in your model Mac Pro unless/until you force upgrade the firmware to the 5,1 firmware (not supported by Apple) then update your Mac OS to 10.13.6 or higher, when the nVME firmware upgrade kicks in.

Similar questions

15 replies

Jan 3, 2020 8:31 AM in response to nelsonmay

Installing a new version of MacOS re-writes over 350,000 files.

A correlation (NOT a cause and effect ) is that if your drive is shaky when you begin, it may die in the process. That is true of ANY major upgrade, and is one of the reasons readers here are urged to make a complete backup before beginning.

Despite your bad luck, your Mac is supported to run El Capitan without any special modifications.

Jan 3, 2020 3:23 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Can I use this method to upgrade to 5.1? Is it sound a fool proof?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Upgrade+the+Firmware+of+a+2009+Mac+Pro+41/98985#s182628

I was reading the documentation and it says I have to upgrade the OSX to El Capitan first. This I cannot do. It just won't install it on any drive. Can I upgrade the firmware while in the Yosemite OSX? This is my only option.

Thanks.

Jan 3, 2020 6:20 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I hear what you’re saying. I just don’t know why El Capitan will not load. I have four different drives, and so far I have not been able to get it to load on two. I’ve even created partitions. download El Capitan directly from Apple. I don’t know if it’s legal for you to see in these forums, but am I able to update to 5.1 without El Capitan?

Jan 3, 2020 10:48 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Good News, I upgraded. I found an el capitan .dmg installer for macs that can't be upgraded, beyond El Cap. Then I found the first version of the el Capitan upgrade for use with Snow leopard. Using them both I upgraded to EL Capitan.

I need to get up to MAC OSX High Sierra to run some adobe apps. I guess I now have to upgrade the firmware? https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Upgrade+the+Firmware+of+a+2009+Mac+Pro+41/98985#s182628

Can I get two more OSX upgrades to High sierra? Do I install Sierra then Install High Sierra?

upgrading to a new drive (SSD or Accelsior 4M2?) Thoughts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.