Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac boot problems...

Whenever I turn off my iMac (as I did a couple of days ago) I have major problems booting it up again.

The first thing that happens is the boot-up stops at the Apple logo - no progress bar (or anything).

In the past, I have tried to recover from my Time Machine - but to no avail: after going through the almost two hours of recovery, I end up with the same screen (just the Apple logo). So, I run Disk Utility, PRAM, and then ReInstall the OS (OS 10.14.6) - another couple of hours.

Usually (I rarely turn my iMac off) this works and I end up with the same Desktop etc that I had before.

Today was alarmingly different: the ReInstall option in Recovery offered Catalina which I don't want (due to addiction to iTunes).

My question - how do I ReInstall Mojave? (No, I stupidly never got around to making a boot disk.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and BIG TIA if you have a solution!

Den

PS I also don't know how to edit the description of my software/hardware that appears under the post.

PPS Aside from this boot thing, the iMac is trouble-free.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 8:53 PM

See if the App Store will allow you to download Mojave, How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Before downloading connect your mac to your router using a cable rather than relying on WiFi.

Once the download has completed open your Application folder and look for Install macOS Mojave.app, use that to make the bootable USB installer, How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

If your mac is constantly having problems booting up then you may want to check the disks health,

download this app, https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx there is a free trial period.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 8:53 PM in response to iguanaden

See if the App Store will allow you to download Mojave, How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Before downloading connect your mac to your router using a cable rather than relying on WiFi.

Once the download has completed open your Application folder and look for Install macOS Mojave.app, use that to make the bootable USB installer, How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

If your mac is constantly having problems booting up then you may want to check the disks health,

download this app, https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx there is a free trial period.

Jan 2, 2020 9:19 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi Eau Rouge, thanks for taking the time to respond.

As part of the Recovery attempt, Safari - but a quite limited Safari it seems - loaded up but wouldn't let me get to the App Store.

I could get TO (but not do much WITH) Google, Yahoo, Apple, etc. I'll try again tomorrow when I'm back home.

I always use ethernet to connect to the router.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I ran Diagnostics (Apple) which came back with "No Problems Found"

I think I goofed by not running the ReInstall prior to attempting a Time Machine Recovery.

Thanks for the tip re DriveDX - if (big if) I get my iMac up & running, I'll give it a try.

cheers, Den

iMac boot problems...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.