Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't set Finder window preferences for Applications or Utilities folders. Won't stick.

Hello, all.

I'm setting up a new iMac (21.5" Ret 4k 2019, Catalina 10.15.2) and having a time trying to get the Finder to remember folder settings (sizes, desktop location and columns) for the "Applications" folder and the "Utilities" folder within. These two folders reside on the volume "Macintosh HD" which, apparently, Catalina claims as its own regarding permissions. Any changes I make revert to default upon logout or reboot.

If I "Get Info" on these folders, then unlock and try to give my administrator user account (TechDave) read/write permissions, the OS denies that with "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission."

I suspect Catalina has locked down the system volume for OS security reasons. I believe that to be true because I can pretty much do whatever I want with any of the folders within my User account which lives on the volume "Macintosh HD - Data", along with the others.

Does anyone know how I can give my User account read/write permission to these two folders on Catalina's System volume "Macintosh HD"?

I can make my way along with Terminal commands if need be, but could use some assistance if that's what it's gonna take.

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 6:01 PM

2 replies

Jan 3, 2020 6:37 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15, your reply set me off on a bit of a quest. Thanks a lot. 🥵

So after doing some additional research I believe I may be stuck with this shortcoming for the foreseeable future.

Apparently, in developing APFS as a more secure and malware resistant file management system, Apple has implemented some security feature(s) that severely limit the ability of mortal users (and malware agents) to render changes to the System volumes and OS data of which the Applications and Utilities folders are a part.

I even took a shot at the problem with Terminal and root user access with no success.

It looks like the Applications and Utilities folders will not be getting custom sizing and positioning, etc until and unless Apple impliments some new Finder preferences tool or options for us. Hopefully that will be forthcoming sooner rather than later in a point update for Catalina 10.15.x

Thanks for the assist.

Can't set Finder window preferences for Applications or Utilities folders. Won't stick.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.