Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gaming in bootcamp

I have a Macbook Pro 2019 base model and I have attempted to play some games using bootcamp. The thing is that, while I'm playing, the computer gets really hot and the fan is usually spinning at max speed. I have a friend who told me that Windows does not manage the fans on a Mac the same way Mac OS does and I could be damaging my cpu. Is this true? Or is it safe for me to be playing games?

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 10:57 PM

Bootcamp requires special hardware drivers for MS to control the Mac hardware. The native OS does usually have hardware drivers that are more optimized than the Bootcamp drivers which may be more "general".

Could it be damaging the CPU by running the embedded graphics harder, yes. Will it kill the system inside of a year, probably not. But then the gaming experience will likely be less satisfying over time as the game is further updated with a specific set graphics cards in mind.

The Mac should shut itself down when it gets too hot and it can slow down processing cycles if the CPU gets hots in self defense.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 10:57 PM in response to Mac_gamer2000

Bootcamp requires special hardware drivers for MS to control the Mac hardware. The native OS does usually have hardware drivers that are more optimized than the Bootcamp drivers which may be more "general".

Could it be damaging the CPU by running the embedded graphics harder, yes. Will it kill the system inside of a year, probably not. But then the gaming experience will likely be less satisfying over time as the game is further updated with a specific set graphics cards in mind.

The Mac should shut itself down when it gets too hot and it can slow down processing cycles if the CPU gets hots in self defense.

Gaming in bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.