Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do old encrypted iTunes iPhone backup files still work on newly-installed iTunes or on other PCs?

If I have to remove and reinstall iTunes (because it's not working properly), will my old encrypted iPhone backup files still be restoreable/usable in the newly-installed iTunes? In other words, is the encryption key in iTunes software or elsewhere (e.g. in the encrypted backup file or on iPhone device)?

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 7:01 AM

The key is stored on the device. The backups should work, however if you are running Windows 10 and switch from the Microsoft Store version of iTunes to the older iTunes64Setup.exe installer from apple.com it is unlikely the backups will still be shown. See Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support to see where the two versions store the data. It may be possible to move the files from one path to the other in order to reveal them in whichever version you have installed.

Given the number of threads I've seen where people find they cannot access an encrypted backup when the time comes you might want to backup to iCloud in addition to iTunes to give yourself an alternative recovery route.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 7:01 AM in response to saunders22

The key is stored on the device. The backups should work, however if you are running Windows 10 and switch from the Microsoft Store version of iTunes to the older iTunes64Setup.exe installer from apple.com it is unlikely the backups will still be shown. See Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support to see where the two versions store the data. It may be possible to move the files from one path to the other in order to reveal them in whichever version you have installed.

Given the number of threads I've seen where people find they cannot access an encrypted backup when the time comes you might want to backup to iCloud in addition to iTunes to give yourself an alternative recovery route.

tt2

Jan 3, 2020 11:10 AM in response to turingtest2

Many thanks for your quick reply. I learnt from you that the encryption key is stored on the iPhone and not in iTunes software, so now I am more relaxed about uninstalling iTunes. I am on Windows 10, but I downloaded the iTunes from Apple site many many years ago (and have simply used PC-to-PC Windows transfers to get it on my new PCs). I have about 30 iTunes backup files (relating to 4-6 various iPhone devices), and I have renamed all of them and stored them on an external hard disk. I will be reinstalling iTunes because of long/standing issues that Apple Support has been unable to resolve during past couple of years. Those issues include: (a) long syncing (and often failed) process; (b) when you want to add just a handful of new photos from iPhone to PC, iTunes often takes off several hundred or thousand from device for no apparent reason (today I went down from 19,000 to 13,000, so now I have to spend time reloading them!), and (c) iTunes doers not sync/transfer all selected media files from PC to device (despite all files being in compliant formats). Hence after two years, I think now's the time to reinstall iTunes. I don't think any of what I just said changes your original answer, so don't feel obliged to respond (unless of course you think of a better way of troubleshooting the iTunes issues that I listed. Thank you!

Do old encrypted iTunes iPhone backup files still work on newly-installed iTunes or on other PCs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.