Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail can't connect to POP server in Catalina 10.15

The day I upgraded my OS from 10.14 to 10.15 I started having trouble getting mail from POP servers. The error message in Mac Mail is: "Could not connect to this POP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the "Use TLS/SSL" checkbox in the Server Settings tab of Account preferences."

I contacted the support people that host the POP server. They checked their end and reported this:

"We checked the firewall for your IP and found it was temporarily blocked. It looks like it is triggered from a lot of POP3 logins generated in a short time:

Jan 3 01:00:42 server lfd[1823482]: pop3d - 61 logins in 36 secs from 68.99.251.48 (US/United States/ipxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) for name@domain.com exceeds 60/hour - *Blocked in csf* for 3564 secs [LT_POP3D]"

The new version of Mac Mail makes 61 POP requests in 36 seconds! Is there any way to change this frequency? Is this a bug?

Mike

Model Name: MacBook Pro

System Version: macOS 10.15.2 (19C57)

Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 7:44 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 3, 2020 8:24 AM in response to MBonnice

MBonnice wrote:

The day I upgraded my OS from 10.14 to 10.15 I started having trouble getting mail from POP servers. The error message in Mac Mail is: "Could not connect to this POP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the "Use TLS/SSL" checkbox in the Server Settings tab of Account preferences."

I contacted the support people that host the POP server. They checked their end and reported this:
"We checked the firewall for your IP and found it was temporarily blocked. It looks like it is triggered from a lot of POP3 logins generated in a short time:

System Version: macOS 10.15.2 (19C57)
  Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3

So the SMTP is working as expected(?) but the issue is checking POP.

And who is you mail provider?

Hmmm. YOu can verify your Firewall is turned off, if that is the issue

>System Preferences>Security&Privacy>Firewall

also here you have advanced feature (unlock the padlock to make changes.)

If you are on your own Network behind a router it has its own Firewall.

Are you committed to POP? IMAP can be more user friendly.

From Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Server settings you can make changes here.

Change Server Settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Mac Mail can't connect to POP server in Catalina 10.15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.