Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Books app won’t open

I have a new 7th gen iPad 128gb WiFi only and am new to apple products only having had an older model 2nd hand for a while before realising the need to upgrade.

I need to access course material in the form of iBooks compatible with iOS 12 or later so it should be fine however when i try to open the Books app it just says that an internet connection is needed for uploads or downloads from iCloud. The WiFi connection is fine and safari and email and everything else I’ve tried so far works as it should. all the advice I’ve seen tells me to open the app and select different menus etc but I can’t get as far as having menus or anything. As far as I can see everything is in place to allow Books to sync or whatever but maybe I’ve missed something?

Please can someone help. My course starts next week and and I’ve been struggling with this for ages.

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 11:38 AM

OK. thanks for your help. It is now resolved. It took 5 support staff 4hrs but we got there. We tried lots of things including offloading the app and reloading it but in the end (not sure why it took so long to try it) we deleted the app completely then reinstalled it. It then worked ok and I had to chat with a different team about accessing books I’d obtained by redeeming vouchers but which had not been appearing before. That was sorted relatively quickly. So it is working.

I used the same approach to make Pages download properly as that was stuck trying but failing to download too. That now works as well.

I hope this helps others. A basic solution that I might have tried myself if I was more familiar with Apple products before today.

Thanks again for looking at this and replying quickly.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 11:38 AM in response to LotusPilot

OK. thanks for your help. It is now resolved. It took 5 support staff 4hrs but we got there. We tried lots of things including offloading the app and reloading it but in the end (not sure why it took so long to try it) we deleted the app completely then reinstalled it. It then worked ok and I had to chat with a different team about accessing books I’d obtained by redeeming vouchers but which had not been appearing before. That was sorted relatively quickly. So it is working.

I used the same approach to make Pages download properly as that was stuck trying but failing to download too. That now works as well.

I hope this helps others. A basic solution that I might have tried myself if I was more familiar with Apple products before today.

Thanks again for looking at this and replying quickly.

Jan 3, 2020 9:53 AM in response to Numptynewbiegreenboy

This sounds distinctly odd. If you can connect via WiFi to internet resources, there should be no technical reason for your Apple Books App to protest about network connectivity.

I would initially suggest that you complete a forced-restart of your iPad - as this may help and should be non-destructive. Simultaneously press-and-hold both the Sleep/wake and Home buttons until the Apple logo appears on-screen, then immediately release the buttons; your iPad will reboot/restart.

Please let us know if this helps to resolve the problem.

Books app won’t open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.