Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airplay from iphone to apple tv (with volume control)

On a regular basis, I will download albums from Apple Music and use my iphone to play airplay music to Apple TV (and my home stereo), controlling volume with my iphone and apple watch.

Problem I'm having is that sometimes, the music will start playing INDEPENDENTLY from the music app on Apple TV and not from my phone and so I lose volume control on my phone. I DO NOT want it to do this, but how do I distinguish?

On a side note, the CORRECT function I want has an Airplay icon (concentric circles above a triangle) while the INCORRECT function shows a mirroring icon (square above a small triangle) though it is not mirroring my screen.

Thoughts?

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 8:20 AM

So spoke with Apple support last night and finally figured it out. Apparently, iOS 13 and Airplay 2 just "decided" to remove the ability to play directly from the iPhone to via Airplay (thereby ALSO removing ability to control volume with iPhone or Apple watch).

This was a feature that I used ALL the time so won't pretend I'm not disappointed they just casually took this away. Apparently, the only "workaround" is to use screen-mirroring over WIFI (sharing video and audio) instead of sound over airplay but of course screen mirroring gives much more limited wifi range/stability and will be loudly interrupted if I get a phone call.

I'm VERY disappointed Apple didn't think through this update more carefully and I hope they will restore the missing Airplay functionality in the near future.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 8:20 AM in response to nja...

So spoke with Apple support last night and finally figured it out. Apparently, iOS 13 and Airplay 2 just "decided" to remove the ability to play directly from the iPhone to via Airplay (thereby ALSO removing ability to control volume with iPhone or Apple watch).

This was a feature that I used ALL the time so won't pretend I'm not disappointed they just casually took this away. Apparently, the only "workaround" is to use screen-mirroring over WIFI (sharing video and audio) instead of sound over airplay but of course screen mirroring gives much more limited wifi range/stability and will be loudly interrupted if I get a phone call.

I'm VERY disappointed Apple didn't think through this update more carefully and I hope they will restore the missing Airplay functionality in the near future.

Jan 7, 2020 4:01 PM in response to MichelleT18

Michelle, I went carefully through that article--they are all things I've tried before and still having the same problem. One random thought I had--is it possible my iPhone is "treating" the ATV as a speaker rather airplay through ATV? I've attached another screenshot and this is what it looks like before I switch from "iphone" to "Living Room" my Apple TV. But then once I select Apple TV, I lose all ability to control volume from the iPhone which I've always had before.

airplay from iphone to apple tv (with volume control)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.