Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording audio from an external source

I'd like to record audio from a tabletop radio even though there is no audio in jack on my Mac (iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). The radio has a line out jack that's described as follows:

The radio can be used as a separate tuner by connecting this input to Hi-Fi system (amplifier) or using this input to make recording in mono from audio program.

I'm assuming (hoping) I can use a standard audio cable to connect to the radio and plug it into some kind of USB dongle that I can connect to my Mac and have it recognize it as a microphone.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 1:35 PM

For some reason, my web searches failed to turn up this article from the fine folks over at Rogue Amoeba. Special thanks to Chris Barajas for responding to my email about this issue. Long story short, a 3.5mm male-to-male audio cable plus one of these dongles from Sabrent worked for me. I bought the USB-C version if anyone's interested.

https://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2018/11/09/apples-newest-macs-include-better-built-in-audio-devices/#fn1-20181109-macaudiooutputs

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 1:35 PM in response to Darryl Oliver

For some reason, my web searches failed to turn up this article from the fine folks over at Rogue Amoeba. Special thanks to Chris Barajas for responding to my email about this issue. Long story short, a 3.5mm male-to-male audio cable plus one of these dongles from Sabrent worked for me. I bought the USB-C version if anyone's interested.

https://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2018/11/09/apples-newest-macs-include-better-built-in-audio-devices/#fn1-20181109-macaudiooutputs

Recording audio from an external source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.