Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD player

Is there any way to erase the DVD memory? I am trying to watch a multi

episode DVD. One of the episodes must be faulty as it stopped playing

part way through. The screen went blank with the color wheel the only

response wherever I place the cursor in regard to DVD. The disc does

not eject and has to be manually removed from the external drive. When

the disc is reinserted it goes right to the bad spot and nothing enables

playing of anything else on the disc.

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 5:23 PM

11 replies

Jan 4, 2020 9:58 AM in response to Rich Fas

Try this: move the DVD Player folder from the Home/Users/Library/Application Support folder to the Desktop.

Reboot and launch DVD Player again with the deviant disk in the optical drive. If it doesn't improve you can replace the folder to its original location.

Something else you can try is the key combination of Shift+⌘+D

as soon as you insert the disc. Have DVD Player launched before inserting the disk. Apply the key combination several time in succession.

Jan 6, 2020 3:58 PM in response to Rich Fas

Go to the System/Apple ID/iCloud preference pane and see if the iCloud Drive option is checked in the right hand pane.

If it is checked uncheck it and click on "Keep a Copy" button in the window that appears. A new folder will be created in your Home folder titled iCloud Drive (archive). You can then redistribute those folders and files to where you want them, i.e. in the Documents folder in the Desktop folder.

Jan 6, 2020 5:34 PM in response to Rich Fas

I don't think there is a solution for this problem. The only way I get DVD player is when a disc is in the unit. When the defective disc in question is inserted,, the player starts and goes to full screen with the color wheel. The only recourse after this is to disconnect the external drive and manually remove the disc.

Jan 7, 2020 4:51 PM in response to Old Toad

I really appreciate all the time and effort you have given toward solving my problem but nothing I do gives the results you describe. I never reached a DVD player icon, for instance. The effort has become more than the desired result is worth and I am abandoning the search. I have to return the DVD in question to the library, so it is no longer a matter of concern. Again, thank you very much.

DVD player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.