Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way I can have the News read out loud on my Apple devices?

Is there a way I can have the News read out loud on my Apple devices? If so, please tell me how to turn that on. I am not interested in Siri or dictation or any software listening to me and recording me. I am interested in having my Apple devices talk to me and read the News, Books and any document I open regardless as to whether it is in PDF or Pages or Word Doc format. I would also like to have features to control reading on my Apple devices, like go forward or go back and re-read a sentence, paragraph, chapter. To be able to point and click and have a document read from there would be great so I can skip ahead and skip back. Speed control to read faster or slower would be a good control to have too. As my eyes get old and go blind it will be nice to be able to continue to read and learn as long as possible. If all of this is available, please reply and tell me how to configure this and use it. I have been looking and cannot find out how to do this. It would be great if the macOS and iOS operating systems offered this so that I won't have to figure out how to do this in each app. A consistent implementation for everything that can be read would be fantastic.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 5:37 AM

In most apps under the Edit menubar item at the bottom of the submenu is Speech, there you will get the option to Start Speaking, just highlight the text you want to be read and select Edit> Speech> Start Speaking.

See the sample below from Safari,

Also open System Preferences> Accessibility> Speech, where you can select a voice and alter the speech rate.

Also in System Preferences> Accessibility> Voice Over you can use the up and down arrows to select areas

to be read to you.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 5:37 AM in response to AppleCustomer9

In most apps under the Edit menubar item at the bottom of the submenu is Speech, there you will get the option to Start Speaking, just highlight the text you want to be read and select Edit> Speech> Start Speaking.

See the sample below from Safari,

Also open System Preferences> Accessibility> Speech, where you can select a voice and alter the speech rate.

Also in System Preferences> Accessibility> Voice Over you can use the up and down arrows to select areas

to be read to you.

Jan 4, 2020 5:41 AM in response to AppleCustomer9

News : Edit menu : Speech.

News will speak every category from Today downwards before it will speak the selected news item. And then, you better have a good voice (e.g. Tom) and adjusted speaking rate set (Accessibility : Speech), or the recitation will sound horrible. It is not something that I can recommend, if you think you will be listening to the quality of the evening news.

Is there a way I can have the News read out loud on my Apple devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.