Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With Safari, data from a site is grey; under FireFox it is not.

Login to a site using Safari. Pages appear with lines of data but they are greyed. After several such displays, the system returns to Login screen. Tried the login with FireFox and the data is properly displayed.

I don't have the technical know-how to understand this. Also, would prefer to use just one browser, Safari.

Any insights ...

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 10:15 AM

You are welcome. In your normal account, in Safari/Preferences/Autofill, did you try checking the boxes, quit/reopen Safari, and then test to see if that makes a difference.

Did the site load properly in the Safe Mode?

5 replies

Jan 4, 2020 8:37 AM in response to VALman

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Jan 4, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Eric Root

1. Thanks for your reply.
  2. Not running any anti-virus programs. Do use a VPN. However, I had quit this app as the login page, for this site, couldn't be accessed.
  3. Created another admin user account. Made no modifications to system and Safari preferences. And, was able to successfully access the site.
  4. I'm thinking along the lines of the Safari preferences being the issue. One difference I note has to do with AutoFill. Usually, I have none of these checked while in the test account all of them were.

Appreciate any feedback.

Jan 4, 2020 10:50 AM in response to Eric Root

The issue had to do with "Safari opens with:". It was set at "A new private window". When changed to "A new window," the data loaded properly. Tested this several times, making certain nothing else was modified. Never did try Safe Mode.

Thank you for your assistance. It reminds me some what of the days, rather pre-historic now before the internet. We'd pore over and over code, stumped as to why the program aborted. Finally, needing a bring, we'd go chat with some others. All of a sudden, the solution came to us. Happened any number of times. Our exchange, in addition to finding a solution, reminded me of this.

Thanks again and blessings for this new year.

With Safari, data from a site is grey; under FireFox it is not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.