Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update my iPad 2 to an iOS 10 when it's saying I have no new updates available?

how do I update my ipad2 to a iso 10 when its saying I have no new updates available ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 1:45 PM

3 replies

Jan 4, 2020 3:59 PM in response to nelly61

Not possible with a nearly 9-year old iPad.

A 2nd gen, 2011 iPad cannot be upgraded beyond iOS 9.3.5/9.3.6.

Its internal hardware is too old, underpowered and completely incompatible with any current and future versions of iOS.

Sorry. It is what it is at this very late date.

And it really doesn't matter at this late date, either.

As of the beginning of 2019, many, MANY third party app developers are all more quickly and completely dropping older app support for all old 7, 8 and 9-year iPads that are running 2-3 year old and earlier iOS versions.

This includes dropping support for iOS 10, 9 and earlier.

Getting older versions of app for these old iPad models, initially from Apple’s iOS App Store is getting to be very difficult and problematic, now, and will only be getting much worse in the year 2020.

These old iPads are now reaching their complete end of life and support.

If an old iPad that can no longer be upgraded or updated, then there will be no more apps available for initial download at all, soon, from the Apple iOS App Store, for such old iOS devices in the very near future.

If you need an iPad that can run the latest and greatest versions of iOS, as well as, the most current apps available, then, you will need to purchase a new iPad from Apple or a discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple’s Refurbished & Clearance section of Apple’s Website.

It is time to now seriously consider a new or discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple.

Best of Luck to You!

How do I update my iPad 2 to an iOS 10 when it's saying I have no new updates available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.