Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help uploading podcasts

I recently downloaded a bunch of back episodes from a podcast I like. They aren't available on the iTunes Store; they're in mp3 format. But now that Apple has broken iTunes into several different programs, I have no idea how to load them onto my iPhone as podcasts. I don't want to listen to them as standard mp3 songs, because they're often a couple of hours long so I need the podcast player to remember where I was if I take a break from listening to one. Does anyone know how to get my iPhone to see these files as podcasts?

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 5:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm not picky abut the format; if I have to convert the podcasts from mp3 to some other file type, I will. And if I can load them into the podcast app, what's the URL to do it?

4 replies

Jan 7, 2020 2:19 PM in response to ReeveseyeLaser

Hello ReeveseyeLaser, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities!  I understand that you'd like to know if there is any way to have all the old Podcasts, which are saved as MP3 files, into the Podcast app. 

At this time only the Music app supports MP3 files. Shows can be added to the Podcast app through a URL. You're welcome to leave feedback explaining the features you'd like to see on this site: Product Feedback - Apple.

All the best.

Jan 7, 2020 8:04 PM in response to ReeveseyeLaser

Hi ReeveseyeLaser,

There is not a website where you can upload an MP3 to add it to the Podcasts app. Every podcast is hosted on a site. That site has a URL which is how the podcasts are accessed. This is typically done through an RSS feed which meets the Apple Podcasts feed, content and artwork requirement. Podcast developers work with this before submitting their podcast for review through Apple.

Since there is not an option to change the formatting of the MP3 or add files to the Podcast app, be sure to leave feedback. This link will take you right to the Podcast feedback page: Feedback - Apple Podcasts.

Cheers!

Jan 7, 2020 10:53 PM in response to sterling r

Ah, I understand now. Unfortunately, that puts me no closer to listening to the older episodes that are only available in downloadable mp3 format.

In that case, I suppose I have to keep my fingers crossed that Apple will allow mp3 files to be uploaded as podcasts. The show I'm listening to can't be the only one with back episodes in mp3 format, so hopefully this gets fixed soon. Thanks for your help.

Help uploading podcasts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.