Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computers Local Hostname keeps changing.

Yes, I have a, what's considered vintage, iMac desktop, OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6, 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3. I'm using a Google Chrome Browser, too much beach balling with Safari. My problem is a pop-up I keep getting lately saying, This computer's local hostname "my-name-iMac-7.local"is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to "my-name-iMac-8.local". It then say's, To change the local hostname, open System Preferences and click Sharing, then click "Edit" and type the name in the Local Hostname field.

I did this once, when it changed from 2 to 3, I typed in the 3. But it changes, and the pop-up shows up every time I start up my computer. I now am up to "my-name-iMac-8.local", but I'm not typing it in. I was able to stop it from going higher numerically by leaving the pop-up on my desktop, but when I click the OK button it goes up again as soon as I start my computer again. I don't know what to do, and I'm a little concerned if anyone has hacked into my computer. I'm the only one who uses this computer, the only one who knows the Password.

iMac 21.5", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 3:37 PM

Something isn't right if Safari keeps "beachballing", so that's a symptom you should not ignore or attempt to work around.

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 22, 2020 5:14 PM in response to jrmull88

Sys Prefs>Sharing...rename the Computer. You don't need the .local part there.

It happens because the OS thinks some new service needs a new name because the Service is already being used by my-name-iMac.local

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Jan 22, 2020 5:38 PM in response to jrmull88

Your network is hosed. You most likely have a loop in the network somewhere, and/or incorrect IP subnetting if there’s more than one router present. Wired and Wi-Fi networks (incorrectly) combined can cause this behavior. The host is effectively seeing itself.

Put a different way, how many routers are present, and how many network connections are active on this old Mac?

Computers Local Hostname keeps changing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.