Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup - Uncheck data to back up - Does app still restore in backup?

To save space on my iCloud backup I uncheck some apps on ‘choose data to back up’ and I done it to my game as it had a lot of data.

If I restored my iPhone will that game app still be on my iPhone? (Gets re-downloaded?) or do I have to manually downloaded it again?

If it’s automatically downloaded? I take it I will lose my log in game data and have to re-log in and download the game updates?

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 6:53 AM

Hello, iKieron!

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities!

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you recently started to turn off iCloud backups for certain apps in order to save some space in iCloud. You're now wondering what affects that will have on apps installed on your iPhone.

When you turn off iCloud backups for any app, it will stop backing up that data and delete the backup data from iCloud. The data for the app, however will remain on your iPhone. In the even that you have to restore your device from an iCloud backup, the app will redownload from the App Store but its data will not be present, unless it uses another method to store its app data which doesn't use iCloud.

Check out these articles for more details on how iCloud backups and storage work:

Manage your iCloud storage

What does iCloud back up?

I hope this information helps you.

Kindest Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 6:53 AM in response to iKieron

Hello, iKieron!

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities!

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you recently started to turn off iCloud backups for certain apps in order to save some space in iCloud. You're now wondering what affects that will have on apps installed on your iPhone.

When you turn off iCloud backups for any app, it will stop backing up that data and delete the backup data from iCloud. The data for the app, however will remain on your iPhone. In the even that you have to restore your device from an iCloud backup, the app will redownload from the App Store but its data will not be present, unless it uses another method to store its app data which doesn't use iCloud.

Check out these articles for more details on how iCloud backups and storage work:

Manage your iCloud storage

What does iCloud back up?

I hope this information helps you.

Kindest Regards.

Backup - Uncheck data to back up - Does app still restore in backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.