Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't hear voicemail unless earphone is plugged in. Why no speakerphone? Sound sucks (Iphone XR) for reviewing voicemail.

Is there a way to enable speaker phone or at lease get louder sound while checking voicemail without plugging in ear pods?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 10:28 AM

Hello ElrodinCincy,

Thanks for posting. As I understand it, you have a question about listening to voicemail.

To clarify, when you play a voicemail, are you not hearing anything at all? Have you tried turning up your volume while the voicemail is playing? Adjust the volume on iPhone

Regarding speakerphone, when you start playing a voicemail, you should see a Speaker icon on the right (next to the blue phone icon and the red trash icon). Tapping that should play your voicemail through the speaker.

I hope that answers your question.

Take care.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 10:28 AM in response to ElrodinCincy

Hello ElrodinCincy,

Thanks for posting. As I understand it, you have a question about listening to voicemail.

To clarify, when you play a voicemail, are you not hearing anything at all? Have you tried turning up your volume while the voicemail is playing? Adjust the volume on iPhone

Regarding speakerphone, when you start playing a voicemail, you should see a Speaker icon on the right (next to the blue phone icon and the red trash icon). Tapping that should play your voicemail through the speaker.

I hope that answers your question.

Take care.

Jan 14, 2020 5:30 AM in response to ElrodinCincy

Solved now! Asked a friend and he showed me; when dialing voicemail, it faintly asked to enter code, but all I see is number pad and a tiny hash-tag ("hide"), so this is what I need to press, actually hides the keypad screen and reveals the speakerphone icon. So thanks, but best way to solve some of this stuff when your old is probably ask a kid I guess...

Jan 8, 2020 5:38 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes. It could be a consumer cellular thing or some type of software snafu but still no speaker icon visible anywhere at all to click on. Using iOS 13 I believe. It’s not a big deal but a little frustrating. Maybe someone from Apple can check it out but could still also be a Consumer Cellular issue somehow, as their support advised me no speakerphone was available for listening to voicemail when I called them about it today. Thank you though. I appreciate your assistance!

Can't hear voicemail unless earphone is plugged in. Why no speakerphone? Sound sucks (Iphone XR) for reviewing voicemail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.