Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text box affecting paragraph indents

The Author Robert Greene has quotations to the sides of his paragraphs in many of his books (see picture). When I try to do this, though, I cannot have paragraph indents on the left page like I can on the right page—if I do move over the tabs then it moves text on the right page so there is room for a text box to the left instead of the right. 

The only thing I have come to is using two em dashes in front of each paragraph and then coloring them white, which is time-consuming and makes further editing difficult. 

Also, the text boxes tend to move around on me when typing, or will be selected when copying text. I know I can lock them one at a time, but setting them up so they are in the same place on each page is time-consuming and annoying. 

Is there a way to make all this work together? Any help or further questions is greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 5:17 PM

Someone would have to take a significant amount of their personal time to duplicate what you have done so far, and what you want to do — just to determine if Pages v6.n on Sierra has the smarts to duplicate what the printers did in that book. They sure weren't using Pages, but substantially higher-end typesetting software that would have made it simpler to achieve.

You want to set Text Wrap to None on Text boxes that are not part of the text.

Affinity Publisher may be up to this task. Free trial. Its in the Mac App Store too.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2020 5:17 PM in response to trentleebrandt

Someone would have to take a significant amount of their personal time to duplicate what you have done so far, and what you want to do — just to determine if Pages v6.n on Sierra has the smarts to duplicate what the printers did in that book. They sure weren't using Pages, but substantially higher-end typesetting software that would have made it simpler to achieve.

You want to set Text Wrap to None on Text boxes that are not part of the text.

Affinity Publisher may be up to this task. Free trial. Its in the Mac App Store too.

text box affecting paragraph indents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.