Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a parent disable or overide child's ipad passcode through family sharing?

My child lost his ipad for a while. Now he can't remember the passcode, we keep disabling it. If we erase and restore we'll lose his photos as they weren't set up in icloud yet. Is it possible for a parent to disable or override the child's passcode settings without using the child's (passcode locked) iPad settings? We have a family sharing account. I'd like to be able to shut the passcode off through my devices or account rather than have to erase his ipad. If there's no way, I'd like to suggest Apple make a secondary passcode for parents of young children needing access to the child's device, it would be so helpful if I could just put my own passcode in too. Any helpful suggestions or knowledge of this?

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 8:45 PM

Once the device is disabled, the content cannot be recovered. Also, as you have found, now is not the time to not have a backup. Sorry, but the only way to enable the device is to restore it, which wipes it. See this, If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

There is no parental override, nor parental passcode, especially if the device is disabled. Another passcode would only lead to the ability to compromise the security of the device by having multiple passcodes to enter it. However, you are welcome to provide feedback to Apple if you wish by going here, Product Feedback - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2020 8:45 PM in response to Beth_Fl

Once the device is disabled, the content cannot be recovered. Also, as you have found, now is not the time to not have a backup. Sorry, but the only way to enable the device is to restore it, which wipes it. See this, If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

There is no parental override, nor parental passcode, especially if the device is disabled. Another passcode would only lead to the ability to compromise the security of the device by having multiple passcodes to enter it. However, you are welcome to provide feedback to Apple if you wish by going here, Product Feedback - Apple

Can a parent disable or overide child's ipad passcode through family sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.