Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Libary cannot repair - size: 500GB

I have a 500GB iphoto library on a 2010 Macbook Pro. I put it away for 4 years now and dusted it off and opened and added more photos to library. Then I had some apps that would not work without upgrading to OSX which I did. Now it won't convert iphoto library to photo and says it needs to be repaired. I repair it and it says ok and then try to convert again and gives me error message to iphoto library needs to be repaired. So I decided to copy the library to USB drive and try to repair from that drive and after hours of backing it up apple osx says file needs to be repaired. I don't have enough room on my hard drive to make a copy of the library either so I can try some other approaches to resolve this issue. Any ideas?

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 12:00 PM

What is the file system format of your external drive?

Prepare your external volume as described here:  Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

The important points are: The filesystem needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, the volume must not be used for Time Machine backups, the volume needs to be locally mounted (not a NAS or network share or a synced cloud folder).

You need to be able to set the ignore ownership flag, or the volume will not be suitable.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2020 12:00 PM in response to RareOne1

What is the file system format of your external drive?

Prepare your external volume as described here:  Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

The important points are: The filesystem needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, the volume must not be used for Time Machine backups, the volume needs to be locally mounted (not a NAS or network share or a synced cloud folder).

You need to be able to set the ignore ownership flag, or the volume will not be suitable.

Jan 7, 2020 3:31 PM in response to RareOne1

As for repairing the iPhoto Library:

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.) 

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.   

iPhoto Libary cannot repair - size: 500GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.