Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Display

Hi,

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini servier (https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i7-2.3-late-2012-server-specs.html#macspecs1) and am trying to decide on the most appropriate disaplay to buy. I'm finding matching the specs of the machine with different displays somewhat confusing, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Idraly I'm looking for a single display provding the most resolution (so I can fit as much one one large dsiplaym as I used to fit on two smaller displays). Happy to use either the HDMI or Thunderbolt out (using an adapter).

Would any of these displays work?

https://www.centrecom.com.au/samsung-cr500-27-fhd-1800r-fhd-curved-monitor-with-bezel-less-design

https://www.centrecom.com.au/viewsonic-vx3276-mhd-32-ultra-slim-ips-monitor-with-speaker

https://www.centrecom.com.au/aoc-q27p1-27-ips-qhd-2560x1440-monitor

Looks like the last option has all input formats covered.

If I'm reading the specs correctly, my mac won't support this display: https://www.centrecom.com.au/aoc-315-qhd-5ms-75hz-frameless-monitor

Can anyone conform this?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 8:18 PM

Hi, Matt.

It looks like you're on a quest. You want to squeeze two monitors worth of video info onto a single display. Okay... but the monitors you linked to in your post were two 27" and one 32" monitors. In my opinion, those screen sizes aren't close to being large enough to do what you seem to want.

I would suggest you consider a pair of 21"-32" monitors for your purpose.

Your Mac mini is capable of driving two monitors simultaneously, and either mirroring the same display on both OR driving a different desktop on each.

And since I've just desktop, are you familiar with and do you take advantage of the macOS concept called Spaces? If not, you should check it out here... Work in multiple spaces on Mac. It's pretty assume. I use it all the time.

You didn't say what you are currently using... a single display? Are you looking to upgrade to two or do you use two now and wish to upgrade the hardware?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2020 8:18 PM in response to matt_1976

Hi, Matt.

It looks like you're on a quest. You want to squeeze two monitors worth of video info onto a single display. Okay... but the monitors you linked to in your post were two 27" and one 32" monitors. In my opinion, those screen sizes aren't close to being large enough to do what you seem to want.

I would suggest you consider a pair of 21"-32" monitors for your purpose.

Your Mac mini is capable of driving two monitors simultaneously, and either mirroring the same display on both OR driving a different desktop on each.

And since I've just desktop, are you familiar with and do you take advantage of the macOS concept called Spaces? If not, you should check it out here... Work in multiple spaces on Mac. It's pretty assume. I use it all the time.

You didn't say what you are currently using... a single display? Are you looking to upgrade to two or do you use two now and wish to upgrade the hardware?

Jan 7, 2020 9:47 PM in response to matt_1976

I feel your pain, Matt.

I use Logic as well (and love it) and always fret about compatibility with new OS releases.

You really need to explore Spaces. It's not a plug in.

Spaces is built into the macOS since 10.7. You access it via Mission Control.

It allows you to have up to sixteen "desktops" (Spaces) available for all your open applications and documents. Depending on how you work with applications, it can really be incredibly useful.

Having said that, if you're like me, more physical screen real estate is great. But trying to fit two desktops onto a single monitor that is anything less than 36" won't cut it. To be honest, I'm not sure it's even possible to have two desktops side-by-side on a single display.

But if you use Spaces, you can slide from one live app on one desktop, to another app on another desktop with a keystroke or swipe of the trackpad. So, you could have multiple windows from the same app open on multiple desktops (Spaces)... and only using one monitor. I'm telling' you, It's outrageous. 😃

And you don't have to worry about compatibility issues... you already have Spaces in Mission Control.

Win-Win!

d.i.

edit - Apple Support - Use Mission Control on your Mac

Jan 7, 2020 8:28 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks for your reply,

In the past I've used two 17 inch displays. Recently one failed, so I've been down to one, which is inadequate. I have been using them for audio production (using Logic), using one display for the editor, and the other display for the mixer. Due to limited space, I thought I'd try one larger display at higher resolution, although I'm open to using two displays again, but I would need to two displays that would work with the two different video ports on the mac mini.

I haven't considered Spaces because I'm using 10.12 and am always worried about breaking compatilibility with the plugins I use.

Mac Mini Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.