Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import APNG sequence into iMovie

How can I import a compiled png sequence for animation (created in clip studio paint) into iMovie?

I need transparencies to be able to change out the background of my animation for seasonal use and the Contents of the picture frame within my animation. Therefore I need to use the apng format. (I believe it’s the only format in clip with Alpha?) but when apng is airdropped from my iPad to my MacBook Pro then imported into iMovie, the png sequence becomes a single png image. Although on my desktop the sequence exists (see image) the sequence is a single file with almost 700 images inside it but only the first image is recognized by iMovie. Note though that iPad iMovie DOES recognize the sequence and shows it as an animation, but the transparent property disappears. The iMovie mobile also doesn’t have all the features I need. (Multiple timeline layers) iMovie on MacBook does NOT recognize the sequence but does recognize the transparency- random and annoying.

I’ve included an image of where I export from clip studio and an image of the breakdown of my project so you know what I’m doing. Basically animation layers. Characters, couches (foreground) and background with changing seasons.

Solutions I’ve considered are finding a way to break the png sequence into a folder filled with the individual images to import into Mac iMovie or finding a way to import the sequence successfully as it is into the Mac iMovie, or finding a different free app to edit the animation in that has multiple editing layers and transparencies. Please let me know your ideas, anything will help!

MacBook

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 8:22 AM

Hi,

I've never worked with APNG sequences before so am in unfamiliar territory here. Below are a couple of things to try.

First, to cover the bases, make sure that Mac iMovie really is recognizing only one image. Use the slider above the timeline to the right (next to the settings button) to expand out the timeline. If all the images are there they should display in the timeline and you should be able to play through them.

You didn't describe the method you used to import the iPad iMovie project into iMovie. To confirm the correct import procedure, the procedure would be this: After Air Dropping your iPad APNG project (the project, not the video) to your Mac, it should appear in your Downloads folder. Then open a new iMovie Mac project and do a File/Import iMovie iOS Projects. When you click on the project a Finder folder will pop up. Navigate to your Downloads folder and find the iPad iMovie project. Double click on the project and it will then import into the Mac iMovie project and become an editable Mac iMovie project. Now see if you have your APNG sequence and transparency.

AirDrop usually will retain all edits that were made to the file. But just in case, you might try a different method of transferring your iMovie iPad project to your Mac, such as perhaps iCloud drive or maybe via iTunes.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 8:22 AM in response to MamaGlitch

Hi,

I've never worked with APNG sequences before so am in unfamiliar territory here. Below are a couple of things to try.

First, to cover the bases, make sure that Mac iMovie really is recognizing only one image. Use the slider above the timeline to the right (next to the settings button) to expand out the timeline. If all the images are there they should display in the timeline and you should be able to play through them.

You didn't describe the method you used to import the iPad iMovie project into iMovie. To confirm the correct import procedure, the procedure would be this: After Air Dropping your iPad APNG project (the project, not the video) to your Mac, it should appear in your Downloads folder. Then open a new iMovie Mac project and do a File/Import iMovie iOS Projects. When you click on the project a Finder folder will pop up. Navigate to your Downloads folder and find the iPad iMovie project. Double click on the project and it will then import into the Mac iMovie project and become an editable Mac iMovie project. Now see if you have your APNG sequence and transparency.

AirDrop usually will retain all edits that were made to the file. But just in case, you might try a different method of transferring your iMovie iPad project to your Mac, such as perhaps iCloud drive or maybe via iTunes.

-- Rich

Jan 8, 2020 9:35 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you for replying! I was exporting from clip studio on iPad to import into iMovie on MacBook using ‘import media’ in ‘file’ not from iMovie to iMovie. The imported sequence acts as a single image and does not move in timeline or in media folder.

I tried your suggestion of importing into iMovie on iPad, then exporting as a project, airdropping to MacBook then uploading project. I had high hopes, but I get an error saying project version is too new. My MacBook is old and cannot be updated to the newest operating system but my iPad has been. I also tried exporting from iPad iMovie but the transparency becomes a white background.

If there’s some way to break up the image sequence (APNG) into the 700 individual images (PNG) before importing into iMovie, that would work, or do you know another good program I could use for video editing?

Import APNG sequence into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.