Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying Java Pop Up with Catalina installation

Hi,

I am getting this annoying pop up. Looks like it is due to Java not being supported by the 10.15 update?

My main question is what does Java actually do in my mac, and do I actually need it?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 7:28 AM

Hmm, it may not be easy to find what app is looking for Java. Might be easier to just do what the message says and install the JDK version.

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk13-downloads-5672538.html

Click the radio button to agree to the license, then download the macOS .dmg file (172.78 MB).

Similar questions

9 replies

Jan 8, 2020 12:18 PM in response to G4RAY

G4RAY wrote:

Thanks. Yes. Same issue with my Brother printer/scanner. Their driver does not support 64 bit technology.

Then you'll need to use 3rd party software for the printing and scanning.

For printing try the free, open source driver Gutenprint 5.3.3. 

For scanning try VueScan.  There's a demo version you can try before purchasing. I use it and it's very powerful.

Jan 8, 2020 6:53 AM in response to G4RAY

It means something you have installed needs Java to run and is looking for it. Apple's Java 6 is dead in Catalina since that's 32 bit code. Oracle's Java 8 won't help since that's only meant for web pages running Java applets.

Open the System Preferences, click on Users & Groups. Click on your name, then Login Items. Do you see anything there you know is a Java app that is listed to launch at startup?

Jan 8, 2020 10:59 AM in response to G4RAY

You're welcome. 🙂

We're seeing this quite often on the forums after a user installs Catalina. Something the user had installed that required Java gets broken because it was using a 32 version of Java before, and now the Java app can't run. Hence the message that app keeps forcing the OS to throw out until you fix it, or remove the Java app causing the message.

Annoying Java Pop Up with Catalina installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.